OG for 1gal Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
I bought the 1gal Black IPA kit from NB and brewed it up last night but don't know what my OG should have been around. I was wondering if anyone has brewed this kit and what they got for an OG. I got 1.066 and I feel good with that in comparison to NB 5gal recommended OG (I was a bit high but ok). Any one with experience is appreciated :mug:

According to the NB site it should come in at 1.075 so you are a bit low, but it's still gonna be a good drinkin beer - I've done that kit twice with good results. Came close to the stated target OG with no additional DME or sugar. How are yo measuring gravity?

Click on the Additional Info tab here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/black-ipa-extract-kit.html

I meant to say that I come in a bit low in comparison to the NB 5gal kit. I brewed the 1gal kit that NB offers and there is no OG range offered from them.

I measured with hydrometer with temp of 68.8. So my reading should actually been 1.067 after temp adjustment.

I brewed the 1gal kit that NB offers and there is no OG range offered from them.

They probably don't include the gravity information because 1 gallon kits tend to be aimed at beginner brewers who only have the most basic equipment required to make that kit. So the goal is to help steer them towards making their very first all grain beer come out tasting at least okay, without them needing to have the tools to fine tune anything. I made over 15 one gallon kits before I began taking hydrometer readings.

They probably don't include the gravity information because 1 gallon kits tend to be aimed at beginner brewers who only have the most basic equipment required to make that kit. So the goal is to help steer them towards making their very first all grain beer come out tasting at least okay, without them needing to have the tools to fine tune anything. I made over 15 one gallon kits before I began taking hydrometer readings.

Good point. I didn't think of it in that sense really.

Back