official "tried and proven" recipe thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
thought it might be a good idea to have a thread of "tried and true" recipes posted in it. i already know some of them that will be posted

It's an idea. Personally I prefer just to look at the recipes themselves and any associated comments.

The recipe database is like a Wiki in that anyone can post a recipe in there. Since there's no moderation process, no vetting process for the entry, you use any recipe at your own risk.

That said, if you follow threads in the recipes section, you can kind of get an idea of what's been around. If there's lots of communication in a recipe thread, chances are the recipe is worth a closer look.

Cheers,

Bob

SHOULD, but i dont think it does

The recipe database is like a Wiki in that anyone can post a recipe in there. Since there's no moderation process, no vetting process for the entry, you use any recipe at your own risk.

That said, if you follow threads in the recipes section, you can kind of get an idea of what's been around. If there's lots of communication in a recipe thread, chances are the recipe is worth a closer look.

Cheers,

Bob

The database is supposed to have only proven recipes. If you find one lacking "tasting notes" or the results, let a mod know so they can be removed.

The database is supposed to have only proven recipes. If you find one lacking "tasting notes" or the results, let a mod know so they can be removed.

Good heavens. There's heaps! In fact, on a goof I went into the very first category and found a recipe thread which, while it contained results, the results were poor. And the recipe was posted months before it was brewed the first time. Even more unfortunate, it was a moderator who started the thread.

Now, please don't get me wrong, Yoop: I'm not bitching at all. All you mods do far, far more work here at HBT than I'd care to take on. No one thanks you enough, so "Thank you!"

All I'm saying is that there seems to be no clearly-stated policy about entering recipes in the database beyond a sort of gentleman's agreement. That can have an adverse impact on the perceived reliability of the entire entity. You dig? Me, I think I know how to sift through the chaff and get the wheat. Others might not.

[/philosophizin']

Bob

Bob, that recipe was added a long time ago, and I forgot to move it after we agreed that only tried and true recipes should be in the database. It's moved now. To reiterate: if there's a questionable recipe in the database, send one of us a PM.

No worries, Yuri, and I'm very sorry it appears I rolled you under the bus. It was unintentional, I assure you. It was only intended as an illustration, and in hindsight it was perhaps poorly chosen. Still, it illustrates the point.

Again, I have nothing but admiration for you mods. You do a job I neither need nor want.

Perhaps a sticky in the Recipes section is in order, to avoid further confusion (and embarrassment for me! :eek: ). If someone would let me know the exact details, I'll gladly write out the agreement/'rules' so that someone can sticky it.

Trying to be proactive,

Bob

Thank you for the offer! One of the issues is the format of the database- we just can't make a sticky in it. Or rather, if we can I'm not smart enough to figure out how! I'll see if there is a way to make a general notice about it.

We've been pretty proactive at removing any untested or unproven recipes, and I've especially done many of them in the mead and cider areas. We've even added a "tasting notes" requirement. In fact, very recently, I was harassed and called names by someone who didn't fill in the tasting notes and I questioned him on the results. When he said he hadn't made it yet, I told him I was moving it to the "recipes" forum for feedback. He told me he was sick of me "busting his balls" and let loose quite a bit of verbal abuse. Since very few of the words were spelled correctly, it didn't bother me all that much.

Anyway, please let us know of any we've missed- this is really important and we could use the help!

Hmmmm, I dunno if my palate is sophisticated enough to fill out any taste notes. Is there a section in there that just says, it's good, or "it sucks"?:eek:

Hmmmm, I dunno if my palate is sophisticated enough to fill out any taste notes. Is there a section in there that just says, it's good, or "it sucks"?:eek:

Tasting notes can be as simple as- yum, good beer. Just as long as you document that this beer has been sampled! "don't know, not done yet" is a definite no-go.

Dont go deleting any of my recipes... I dont have them saved anywhere else!!!!

So you just put every one of your recipes in there? That isn't the intention of the database.

He forgot to include brewing software in the infamous "big order" and will now have to wait until next year.:p

just messing with you the pol!;)

He forgot to include brewing software in the infamous "big order" and will now have to wait until next year.:p

just messing with you the pol!;)

I have to get ProMash loaded on my new netbook... then I will save them all there.

I used to use another brewing software, had some of them saved there, but had no ability to keep inventory, now I am using ProMash and have to get them all entered there.

Tasting notes can be as simple as- yum, good beer. Just as long as you document that this beer has been sampled! "don't know, not done yet" is a definite no-go.

So, since I think you've tasted all of the recipes that I posted, should I just put in there "Yooper liked it"?:D

So this thread has become another quarterly the recipe database is screwed up because some people post untested recipes there rather than in the recipes ingredients section rant???

This is mine from a couple months back...

One of the problems and it is something that we hash back and forth a lot is that people post untried recipes into the recipe database (which also shows up in our pulldown menu) rather than in the Recipes/ingredients section...

Sadly there is no way to "police" this....we'd like to see only "tried and true" recipes in the database (meaning complete recipes that have been brewed at least once, preferably more and tasted and maybe even brewed by other brewers) and those become the HBT "canon" of official recipes..

And in the Recipes/ingredients forum we put our "experiments" as well as ask for feedback...Then once we feel the recipe is "good enough" to have other brewers brew it THEN we add our recipe to the "canon"

If you look at my pull down..you see only one recipe in there (and in the database) yet I have posted a lot of my recipes in the Recipe/ingredients forum..at least a half dozen, maybe more...

But I feel that my brown ale (even though I constantly tweak it and post the notes of variations in the thread) is the only one I "stand behind" right now enough to attach my name to it...

But like I said there's really no way to "police" it without coming off mean...some have suggested a voting system...some have suggested that 2 or 3 brewers have had to have brewed it before it goes into the database. But there is really no way to do it easily...

We kinda hope that people on here would just police themselves, and not add to the database unbrewed recipes..Not to at least post the recipe til they are drinking the beer...not the day before they brew it...and put that in the other section...but most new people don't know the distinction...

Oh well

One thing to do is to be selective in the recipes you brew on here...if you are around long enough, and read people's posts you get an idea of who has experience in creating recipes and who doesn't...Which recipes get brewed alot, etc....and trust the recipes by them...

When I'm looking for a recipe I start with those by people I know on here, like the Mods or some of the other brewers who help beginners because I know their brewing philosophy or level of experience, or have seen the response to their recipes..After those people I will look at the other recipes and see if the poster has updated or posted comments about their recipe, or if other people have as well..to see if anyone else has brewed it...then the next "tier" is those that look like the recipe was written AFTER it was brewed and bottled (once clue look to see if they put a final gravity in the recipe..if there is a question mark, or a blank, than more than likely it was put in there before being tested.)

Hope that helps...But to anyone lurking...post "experiments" in the forum...and recipes you trust enough and have brewed more than once, recipes good enough to release in the database...it makes it easier for other brewers to brew with trust.

The recipes wouldn't be deleted, they would just be moved to the recipes/ingredients forum.

Would I still be able to access them from my "recipes" tab?

I never put in tasting notes, didnt know it was a "rule" to do so.

Bottom line, making someone say "yum good beer" doesnt mean that it is, and removing recipes won't give you the outcome that you are looking for.

Making tasting notes a requirement, doesnt mean that the beer has ever been tasted, that is just silly. It is like saying.. "click here if you are 18 or older to enter" and assuming that only people over 18 will click it.

So if you need positive feedback on your recipes PM me for shipping information. If you don't want to send beer, I'll give positive reviews on any beer for $20.:D

So if you need positive feedback on your recipes PM me for shipping information. If you don't want to send beer, I'll give positive reviews on any beer for $20.:D

Great businessman.

Would I still be able to access them from my "recipes" tab?

I never put in tasting notes, didnt know it was a "rule" to do so.

Bottom line, making someone say "yum good beer" doesnt mean that it is, and removing recipes won't give you the outcome that you are looking for.

Making tasting notes a requirement, doesnt mean that the beer has ever been tasted, that is just silly.
I don't believe it will show under the recipes dropdown after being moved out of the recipe database, but it would still be available on your 'my topics' list.

The tasting notes I believe are a more recent feature, so older recipes won't have them at all. But I don't see anything wrong with requiring that people enter some notes about how the beer turned out. I do agree with a previous poster that the guidelines for posting a recipe to the db haven't been identified well enough and we should definitely do something to rectify that.

I never said that it is wrong to ask for tasting notes, but people are still going to post recipes that they have not brewed. I am only saying, you can make it a requirement, but that wont make all the recipes tried and true by any means.

I never said that it is wrong to ask for tasting notes, but people are still going to post recipes that they have not brewed. I am only saying, you can make it a requirement, but that wont make all the recipes tried and true by any means.
Yes I quite agree. But if people see a field called 'tasting notes' one would hope they realize they need to have actually tasted the beer before they post. The ones that get by can be reported to a mod via PM or the report post button and they can be moved. It's not perfect but without doing full moderation on the db (which nobody would want to see I think) it's a pretty good compromise.

We've had this conversation about fifty times in the past. I don't think there's a better solution that what we have; honor system that the recipes you choose to post are ones that are proven (my simple test; would I offer this recipe without hesitation to a buddy?). If not brewed, don't post. Don't post ALL of your recipes; this is a resource for the community, not the individual brewer, so selectivity is key.

Ultimately, though, you know the posters, you know who knows their stuff. I'll take a recipe of Yuri's or Brad's or Yooper's or lots of other "vets" just because I know and trust them; someone newer, I might be more hesitant (a guy like Denny Conn, of course, no hesitation!). Just like you learn who to listen to by reading a lot of posts, brewers here develop their credibility over time, there are no shortcuts. I think that's natural and that makes sense. Ideally, IF you do brew someone's recipe, make a note of that in the recipe database and give some feedback.

I don't see any way of being able to PROVE all the recipes are good, short of sending the whole Mod Squad a bottle prior to posting.

to me, "tried and proven" recipes are a lot different then "good" recipes. I "tried and proven" recipe to me is one that been brewed by many people, and the majority of the reviews are mostly raves. the recipes appeals to most people. some that come to mind are BMs centential blonde, applewiezen, and eds haus ale. i think if the recipe database only included tried and proven recipes, there wouldent be many at all.

A good recipe to me, is just a recipe that the brewer enjoys. of course everyones tastes and prefrences can vary greatly, so what might be great to someone, can be bad to another.

man has this thread got off topic

to me, "tried and proven" recipes are a lot different then "good" recipes. I "tried and proven" recipe to me is one that been brewed by many people, and the majority of the reviews are mostly raves. the recipes appeals to most people. some that come to mind are BMs centential blonde, applewiezen, and eds haus ale. i think if the recipe database only included tried and proven recipes, there wouldent be many at all.

A good recipe to me, is just a recipe that the brewer enjoys. of course everyones tastes and prefrences can vary greatly, so what might be great to someone, can be bad to another.

man has this thread got off topic

Sorry to drag you off topic so far, bkov! It's just that at least once a week we have the same "post your best recipes" or "post the winners here" threads and the whole point of the database is to provide such a resource. We have an old sticky with links to some of the "famous" ones, which can be updated if someone wants to add to it.

We have a "rating" system for the recipes, with stars, and the "prost" button as well. We're doing the best we can to keep the database full of only tested and proven recipes. I don't know of any other way to accomplish it.

Since going AG, I've done nothing other than brew bitter. Tweaking it here, tweaking it there. Playing with this, playing with that......Until I get exactly what I want and repeated the brew successfully there is no way in hell i am posting it anywhere other than a thread that makes it quite clear that it is an experiment or just the latest attempt. I would have thought everyone else would be the same way when posting their babies on the interwebz.

Any recipe that I've looked at for pointers, I have always qualified by looking at the responses before trying any aspect of them. You just gotta be careful when grabbing other peoples recipes, just as you would be careful when grabbing a stranger's naughty bits. ;)

Since going AG, I've done nothing than brew bitter. Tweaking it here, tweaking it there. Playing with this, playing with that......Until I get exactly what I want and repeated the brew successfully there is no way in hell i am posting it anywhere other than a thread that makes it quite clear that it is an experiment or just the latest attempt. I would have thought everyone else would be the same way when posing their babies on the interwebz.

Any recipe that I've looked at for pointers, I have always qualified by looking at the responses before trying any aspect of them. You just gotta be careful when grabbing other peoples recipies, just as you would be careful when grabbing a stranger's naughty bits. ;)

Agree 100%. I have 2 recipies that I have brewed over and over, tweaking slightly here and there until I come up with something consisitant and awesome. 1 of them is almost ready, but I am waiting to taste the last batch I made even though I have had this final recipie for 3 batches and they have all been great.

I know this is what we should all do before posting recipies to the database, but there are a few in there that have ahhhh... less effort behind them. Perhaps this thread coming up will be the reminder we need to minimize those postings for awhile at least :D

...Don't post ALL of your recipes...

Who???

What???

Me????

:D:D

I have more than my fair share...but I think they all have supporting background and tasting notes. I think. I'll have to go through and double check.

For me what makes the recipe database enjoyable are the write ups and comments about a recipe, more so than just reviewing gravities, grists and hop additions.

If someone is just posting the bare bones ingredients and not going to the trouble of offering some commentary...pass...

Who???

What???

Me????

:D:D

I have more than my fair share...but I think they all have supporting background and tasting notes. I think. I'll have to go through and double check.

For me what makes the recipe database enjoyable are the write ups and comments about a recipe, more so than just reviewing gravities, grists and hop additions.

*ahem* I'll vouch for yours :D

Since your my goto pulldown when I'm looking for something new...

Back