Official Pliny Recipe Kit from Russian River

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
I brewed that kit several years ago. It made a fine beer. I've since tweaked it quite a bit to suit my tastes. I had the real deal on tap several months ago. Gotta say, I like mine much better.

So I just bought two of these:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/russian-rivers-pliny-elder-grain-beer-brewing-kit-5-gallons.html

It's the official kit from Russian River themselves! According to the reviews it's pretty damn spot on. Figured I'd share. Going to brew it this week so I'll be sure to update this thread.

What I found super cool was it comes with tap handle labels that have the Pliny the Elder logo.....gonna be fun to serve it from the keezer.

Can you post the recipe when you get the kit? There’s a note in the reviews for the kit that links to another homebrew talk post that has the extract kit instructions but not the all grain. There’s an old magazine where vinny posted a recipe but seems different than the more beer one
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

I remember this recipe and others like it Vinny has floated around. 3.5 oz Columbus at 90 plus all the other boil hops, dang. Cool thread btw imo and thats not the worst deal.
Can you post the recipe when you get the kit? There’s a note in the reviews for the kit that links to another homebrew talk post that has the extract kit instructions but not the all grain. There’s an old magazine where vinny posted a recipe but seems different than the more beer one

Holy sh** that was an insane amount of hops!!

My OG came out to 1.073 so I think I’m gonna be pretty damn close to the 8% of the bottled beer.

A6456D20-5185-4BD8-87C2-1A5CEEDED0C7.jpeg

I got the All-Grain recipe of course. Note the additions at the bottom.

Yes, but if you want a mix thats a lot of pounds and up front costs. Something to be said for making the recipe right too. I am a bulk hop buyer and am always adjusting recipes and growing tired of smash beers. For "juicy" recipes like this i can see myself getting the kit. The link led to the more hazy or whatever, it looked good. For the rest of the beers, i have been splashing out the extra dollar or two for 1oz packages. Heck most beers are only an oz or two and I dont want a pound of each kind for an oz and I dont want to adjust. Sad to report that the quality i have found in the small packages i have gotten are poor. So back to sq one, but I like this deal for those who want pliney.
Ouch how much do they charge for single 1oz packages. I can't bring myself to buying individual packs anymore as there just so much more expensive than the full LB bags. Cheers

I've done the Brewer's Friend recipe a couple of times but subbed out the Simcoe with Amarillo because it's what I had. Turned out pretty good. Seeing this thread makes me want to brew it again, but since I'm slap out of Amarillo I'll sub in something else...maybe some Strata since I have it. And I like Chinook better than Columbus. That's the fun thing about homebrewing, you can do what you want with what you have. I've had the real thing just once, and the beers I made tasted better in my shoddy opinion. Was probably an old bottle since we don't get much out here on the frontier. Dammit now I gotta go buy grain again.

Yes, but if you want a mix thats a lot of pounds and up front costs. Something to be said for making the recipe right too. I am a bulk hop buyer and am always adjusting recipes and growing tired of smash beers. For "juicy" recipes like this i can see myself getting the kit. The link led to the more hazy or whatever, it looked good. For the rest of the beers, i have been splashing out the extra dollar or two for 1oz packages. Heck most beers are only an oz or two and I dont want a pound of each kind for an oz and I dont want to adjust. Sad to report that the quality i have found in the small packages i have gotten are poor. So back to sq one, but I like this deal for those who want pliney.
Guess it depends on were your located. For myself 3 individual ounce packs is usually within a few dollars as a pound so I always buy that way and vac seal in mason jars. Cheers

There is a shockingly large amount of hops being boiled for a long time and a rather small amount of aroma hops for a double IPA. I would move everything from 60 on to 10 minutes or less. It's seems odd how the specify whole cone cascade but boil them for 60 minutes. It'd be plenty bitter with 2 oz of magnum for 90.

There is a shockingly large amount of hops being boiled for a long time and a rather small amount of aroma hops for a double IPA. I would move everything from 60 on to 10 minutes or less. It's seems odd how the specify whole cone cascade but boil them for 60 minutes. It'd be plenty bitter with 2 oz of magnum for 90.
I've never had Pliny but was always under the impression it's supposed to be a Uber bitter bomb old style clear IPA?

I've never had Pliny but was always under the impression it's supposed to be a Uber bitter bomb old style clear IPA?

It is, and i agree, not sure what the whole cone adds at 60 minutes. might consider adding all those at 30 instead?

5oz dry isnt bad, maybe double the simcoe and the centennial to make it 7?

Well considering Pliny is the highest rated beer on beer advocate, I’d say they’re doing something right. I wanted an exact clone.

So I just bought two of these:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/russian-rivers-pliny-elder-grain-beer-brewing-kit-5-gallons.html

It's the official kit from Russian River themselves! According to the reviews it's pretty damn spot on. Figured I'd share. Going to brew it this week so I'll be sure to update this thread.

What I found super cool was it comes with tap handle labels that have the Pliny the Elder logo.....gonna be fun to serve it from the keezer.

So I just got this kit too - only one of them however (Did you do a 10 gallon batch?)...and was wondering if you had any tips/advice?

My plan is as follows - I'm doing BIAB...

1) Heat water appropriately high enough to mash at 152f for 60 min
2) Mash out at 168f for 10 min (not sure if this is necessary?)
3) Boil for 90 min while following the hop schedule
4) Cool Wort to 68-70 deg or so
5) Pitch yeast - I have 2 packs of White Labs WLP001...that's what came in the kit - do I need 3?
6) Ferment - 7 Days
7) Add dry hops to fermeter - 7 more days for a total of 14 fermenting
8) Keg 5 gallons, force carb fast style (20ish psi until it stops gurgling, let stand for a few hours, set regulator to 6.5ish psi (30degree fridge)

Any post brewing feedback you'd like to share (this is my first biab/all grain - going big here i think)...I'll take it. :)

Last edited:
What did you change

I did not realize you asked this question. I've changed far too much to get into it. I've posted the recipe somewhere on here. I'll look it up and post the link here.

I'm curious, Vinny has a mash addition of whole hop cascade. That's what I've always used. Did your recipe call for those cones in the boil? Just curious.

Back