Advice on what exactly to order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHoss

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've brewed one batch of homebrew thus far and it came out great! It was extremely exciting that my work paid off. I'm looking to brew a Pliny The Elder clone for the fall/winter but just had a few questions on what exactly to order. I figured I'd purchase the liquid malt extract as that's what I used for my first brew. My questions arise at what yeast, yeast nutrient (necessary?),and priming sugar to purchase with the kit. Below is the kit I plan on purchasing unless anyone happens to have a better and simple kit in mind. Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://www.morebeer.com/products/russian-rivers-pliny-elder-extract-beer-brewing-kit-5-gallons.html

Congrats on your first beer!

When I brewed with extract, preferred using DME over LME. I thought my beers tasted better because they weren’t “so sweet”.

If you’re going to do a yeast starter, I’d recommend WLP001. If going the dry yeast route, I recommend a couple packs of US-05.

You can use table sugar for priming if you want. I used to use corn sugar. You can always use DME as well. Be sure to use a calculator online to accurately measure out the correct amount.

Good luck!

I second this. I believe everyone's Pliny clones utilizes Safale US-05, White Labs WLP001, or Wyeast WY1056.
As far as priming sugar, save $ and go the sucrose (table sugar) route. Just use an online or brewing software calculator to determine the weight (go by weight, not volume) and you're golden.

Dry yeast, US-05 all the way. More yeast per $, longer shelf life, easier to handle and virtually same flavor profile as 001 and 1056.

I agree. That’s why I lawyered my way through that comment with “virtually”. Haha.
Not sure about the gose part of that but I agree, for a DIPA, all three of the above yeasts talked about would yield a very similar product, in line with style. Which is why I’d advocate for US-05. In fact, I almost always use dry yeast unless I need something very specific that is not offered in a dry yeast equivalent.

Back