Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife broke my plastic sample jar. Had the hydrometer in it too. Knocked it off the counter. Hydrometer is fine😁

Count me in - gently placed it into the empty plastic test tube thingy and apparently that was too much of an impact... thinking about just saying "F it" and instead of testing just assuming that (based on prior experience) my beer has the standard alcohol content for the style. I'll just drink as many as I need to to get where I want to be, 'nuff said.

broke my 2nd one last week. It was in the tube when it rolled off my table. So I picked up another one Saturday and was thinking, what can I do to prevent the tube from rolling off the table? Took the other tube and taped them together. Whalah!
IMG_0958.JPG

I went to pull the hydrometer out of the cylinder of pre-boil wort and it shattered in my fingers. No idea what the post boil SG ended up.

I was at the LHBS today getting ingredients for a couple of batches. I thought of this thread, and picked up a hydrometer. I've been using the same one for 6 years and figured my luck wasn't going to hold out forever.

So, the count remains 2250.

The hydrometer I purchased in 1987 went last night. Had it at the computer to read the different scales while typing a reply. Just stuck the tube in my pocket to take downstairs later. Tube hooked on the chair arm flipping into the air. Landed in two pieces. First one purchased. First one broken.

It read 4 points high so hadn't been used since 1995 when I had bought a new one.

Haven't broke a hydrometer yet, but I have broke 2 graduated cylinders that I used to test in... the one that came with the hydro and one that I bought to replace it... the second one I broke the same day I got it. D'oh!

Knocked my 1.070 hydro with the sample tube and all off my counter. /sigh

Before I sold my micro, I’d broken 7 legal hydrometers at £55 ($75) a pop !

The hydrometer I purchased in 1987 went last night. Had it at the computer to read the different scales while typing a reply. Just stuck the tube in my pocket to take downstairs later. Tube hooked on the chair arm flipping into the air. Landed in two pieces. First one purchased. First one broken.

It read 4 points high so hadn't been used since 1995 when I had bought a new one.

Dropped while washing up after brew day last weekend. Dam slippery PBW. Batch number 13 .
2251 + 7 + 1 + 1 = 2260

+ 1 by me just now

I was at the LHBS today getting ingredients for a couple of batches. I thought of this thread, and picked up a hydrometer. I've been using the same one for 6 years and figured my luck wasn't going to hold out forever.
Never not have a spare squirreled away for a rainy day.

I picked up a bag of avocados, didn't realize it had a hole in the bottom, it rolled down the counter, and knocked the hydrometer and it's test tube off onto the floor. Right onto a startled, and now wet and pissed off Doberman.

Who then tried to eat it.

2263. Had one of those "lab grade" hydrometers that only measure from .98 to 1.02, to get a good look at the finish gravity.

Slipped from my fingers, only banged just a little bit on the sink, and then lots of little lead balls all over the sink.

I just ordered two more. One, obviously, as a spare. ;)

This one was a precision low range that I used for taking my FG.
Still, all-in-all, only my 2nd broken one in 6 years, and I have 4 others, plus a refractometer.

2263. Had one of those "lab grade" hydrometers that only measure from .98 to 1.02, to get a good look at the finish gravity.

Slipped from my fingers, only banged just a little bit on the sink, and then lots of little lead balls all over the sink.

A pro brewer gave me this at least 10 years ago and I still have it intact. I use the refractometer while brewing, but this is my FG tool.
https://www.coleparmer.com/p/h-b-instrument-safetyblue-precision-brix-thermo-hydrometers/60259

Mine got drunk on a Barley wine and ended up in a murder suicide scenario with thermometer nr 5 a year or so ago Since that black day I just let the yeast do what they do.

2273 AND 2274 at the same time. Just yesterday I took a final reading on a stout and the first hydro rolled off the counter and shattered in the "protective" tube

So I grabbed my backup and the dog bumped the wife who bumped the counter and timber... the second hydro and my test jar both in pieces

GO ME!

Last edited by a moderator:
2275. I was trying to "save time" by filling my sample jar (with hydrometer in it) directly from the siphon tubing I was using to transfer to a bottling bucket. The flow of beer pushed the sample jar over and off the countertop. Beer went everywhere. Hydrometer broke into a hundred small pieces. I started cursing. I now use a fermenter which has a valve on the side, so I can easily take samples safely and whenever desired.

2276 I keep forgetting to let the hydrometer slide to the bottom rather than drop it in the test cylinder. Fortunately I had a spare that I replaced with the on I broke.

I haven't used a hydrometer since 2006 [emoji12]

Damn it, I shouldn't have bragged back on 3/13. I broke the midrange one I was using to replace the low range. Same way too. Going to my LHBS tomorrow to see if they have any precision labgrade ones.

2278 - Finishing Hydrometer last night after measuring gravity. ugh

I guess I dodged a bullet. I just started brewing but while my first batch was fermenting my 2 year old girl was messing with my brew stuff, in the corner of the room I ferment in. I didn't pay much attention because she was just banging around the spoon and kettle and whatnot but then I look up and she has my hydro(out of the plastic sleeve) and is wildly waving it around. Grabbed it in time, but I'm sure I'll be back here soon...

Back