Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2196. The cleaning lady barely touched it. No prob. I buy them in pares.

2,198. I had it resting on a rag after testing the pre-bottling gravity of a cider w/ apricot addition. Went to use the rag to put under the bottling bucket and the hydrometer rolled right off the table and broke on the floor. At least I have a spare. I should probably invest in another so I always have a spare around haha.

The oldest dropped an object on my fermenter, smashing the airlock. Airlock and soured wort dumped. He managed to take out the supplied hydrometer in my Brewers Best kit, too.
Seven dollars, but I had a sentimental attachment to that thing. The new hydrometer I replaced it with hates registering anything under 1.050 at room temps in the measuring cylinder.

I pivoted on the ball ball on my foot and in a single motion with my heel knocked over the flask crushing it and sent the base whizzing across the room. At first I had thought the hydrometer survived the chaos but it did not and lay in two pieces. That is why I bought 2 hydrometers from eBay.

I have to say this thread is funny.

I still have my original one that I received 2 1/2 years ago

it did not break all 3 times I have used it.

Broke two in the last three months (actually one broke itself, all I did was pick it up!). Bought two last week anticipating future clumsiness.

TomVA

2203 - actually broke during bottling of a belgian dubbel and a orange american wheat... still have yet to determine FG of the dubbel...

2205. SYWMBO was rammy and knocked my hydrometer and test jar off of its storage place.

Edit: I can't add apparently

2208 Dropped it on the floor. Ordered a cheap one online and watched it slide out of the packaging to the floor. Bought a refractometer a few days later

2211 I broke a finishing hydrometer closing the tube it came in. ordered another one and it arrived broken. Finishing hydrometers are extremely fragile.

2217. Dropped it while washing equipment a couple of weeks ago. This is why I always have a spare.

I broke one a long while back... Probably wasn't recorded but me and glassware is rough when a few (>5 drinks) are involved... Love my refractometer

I broke one 4 weeks ago so 2221.

Dog broke one when she stepped on it on the kitchen counter 2222.

I can't believe I broke another one last Saturday. Grabbed something off the counter in a hurry and as I walked past my arm knocked over the flask filled with wort and the hydrometer, that was my post boil reading after boiling my Blonde Ale. Which brings us now to 2223.

+1=2225

Did not realize it was broken. Dropped it into my test jar to get a fg reading, went straight to the bottom. Luckily I always keep a spare. Not too bad only second one broken in over 350 brews.

+1=2226

I had my hydro test cylinder in hand, went to dump some water out of it. Also in the same hand was my hydrometer in the open case to dry out. So I just straight dumped my hydrometer on the concrete...

+1=2227

Took my gravity reading and went to move the sample tube, but my hands were full, so I put the top end of the hydrometer in my mouth. Yep, bit right through the bugger! Luckily no glass in my mouth or in the beer.

i never broke a hydrometer in my 10 year brewing career..broke alot of hearts though

I broke on back in '02 or so. Didn't bother with them before. My ex thought the replacement was a thermometer and when it didn't work threw it in the trash. Still have the replacement for that one but I broke the flask for it last bottle day. It's harder to find a good hydrometer flask than the hydrometer itself.

Matty FTW!

I've broken 4 hearts and 4 hydrometers; I wonder if theres a correlation

Dayum, not sure I can say the same....

We're not going to ask the Peanut Gallery about the heart count, but considering I'm only one hydrometer down in in 58 years, I'm hoping that's the lesser of the two.....:drunk:

I've broken three, which makes 2231... the most recent was one of those seemed to happen in slow motion because I didn't have a spare!

Now I always have two on hand, and a plastic hydro vessel to reduce breakage of that piece.

2233 have been using a refractometer for a year after breaking 3 hydrometers. By the time I paid for the 4th I could have paid the 50 for the refractometer. Found this one used with a bunch of other equipment. Opened a cabinet and knocked it out of the tube into the waffle maker.
Didn't even get to use it.

I had two come to me broken in shipping, then I broke a third. After that ordered three at once hoping that at least one would survive the trip. All three came in fine and I still have them months later. I'll be sure to keep spares always though.

Dagummit 2237

My fault. I left it sticking up in the dish drainer. Stupid!

Had a spare since I buy them 2 at a time. Just ordered 2 more.

2239! Not sure how it broke. Had a small crack down by the weights that let a bit of wort seep in and that added 30 gravity points to my batch. I pulled it out to look at it and the weighted section just fell off.

I've broken three, which makes 2231... the most recent was one of those seemed to happen in slow motion because I didn't have a spare!

Now I always have two on hand, and a plastic hydro vessel to reduce breakage of that piece.

I managed to break my plastic cylinder. I had it full of a post-boil sample on the counter. Moved too fast and knocked it onto the sight glass of my boil kettle. The sight glass plastic won and I took a huge chunk of my cylinder, not to mention a good pint of sticky wort all over everything.

Back