Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2167 - was in the sink, went to move hit something and broke it... Damn guess on Monday I'll just fly blind brewing.

I actually broke it twice, which has to be some sort of achievement. I rinsed it in my bucket of StarSan and shook it ever so gently to knock the foam off - snapped it in half. Thinking "I'd better put this back in the tube so no one cuts themselves" I dropped in back in the tube and it knocked the bottom plug out and shattered on the concrete floor.

Sorry for the thread jack but I broke my darn test jar! Was sitting (full) on the counter and I knocked it over. Beer and glass everywhere and cut my finger trying to catch it mid-air (was already broke having hitting the counter edge first) so was "catching" broken glass.

Luckily the hydro wasn't in the jar!

Do, not sure if this counts - last night I had a dream that I broke a hydrometer. In the dream, I made a mental note that I needed to report it on the HBT hydrometer thread.

Homebrewing and HBT have officially invaded my brain and subconscious!

2173, I had one at 68deg that I liked to use. Dropped it so I pulled out my old 60 deg model. But in the mail yesterday, I received my new refractometer! I'll do a comparison on my next brew day.

2174 and 2175. First arrived broken. Second I broke between my sparge and boil. No OG?! Yuck. Now I will always have a backup on hand. And handle carefully.

Broke my first one today after 18 months of brewing (and also a week after realizing i was using the wrong calibration temp). RIP OG Hydrometer. You will be missed!

broke one on my second brew and learned my lesson. 5 years in, and have yet to break another. i also got a refractometer last year

I've got the same one I had when I started brewing. That's 1990. I have broken a tube though.

Now, let's see what happens next brew.

I've got a refractometer that I LOVE. Find I use it more than the hydrometer
and it's just as accurate.

All the Best,
D. White

2180? I broke my 0-1.100 hydrometer on Friday. I knocked over the sample jar as I was putting the hose back in the fermenter. Williams Brewing is out of stock on these right now.

Broke my first one yesterday. Slipped out of my hand while washing it. Will never wash one again. :D

Although not technically broken the one I have been using for 12 years had the paper inside slip down 2 gravity points. It took me 6 months to discover the problem.

Never broke a hydrometer yet but last week I knocked my two 300 watt aquarium heaters off onto the garage floor. I was mad for two days over that one.

2187 threw my dogs ball and it bounced around and knocked over the sample jar. Hydrometer was in its case and everything. Lasted a week. Broke one in three years and 3 in 2 months.

2189, counting CDF's.

Still inside the wine thief after measuring OG. Fell over in the sink while washing.

one broken one. i had cleaned it, and it was now dry. I had it in my hand turned and hit a cabinet door by mistake. little pellets EVERY where....

+1. The old story.
Boy meets hydrometer.
Boy washes hydrometer.
Hydrometer meets floor.
Boy loses hydrometer.
Boy goes to LHBS, buys new hydrometer.

Back