Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i secretly hoped that i would never post in this thread, but today, taking final gravity readings before racking my VERY FIRST BREW the unthinkable happened. my wife broke my hydrometer. that's my story, and i'm sticking to it.

seriously considering a refractometer now. :)

+1 = 864

870+1 = 871
Think it chipped when I was putting it into an empty test jar. Next time I used it wort got inside the hydrometer

I subscribed to this thread a couple of weeks ago. I'm on my second hydrometer. I brewed today with a new refractometer, and I got different readings from hydrometer and refractometer. Both calibrated. I was trying to decide which one to trust. During cleanup, I knocked my hydrometer over and I couldn't catch it before it crashed on the ground. I will be purchasing number 3 in the next week or so. Great timing.

glugglug said:
I subscribed to this thread a couple of weeks ago. I'm on my second hydrometer. I brewed today with a new refractometer, and I got different readings from hydrometer and refractometer. Both calibrated. I was trying to decide which one to trust. During cleanup, I knocked my hydrometer over and I couldn't catch it before it crashed on the ground. I will be purchasing number 3 in the next week or so. Great timing.

What does quoting mean?

The replacement I bought for #679 was always crap, totally off. I got tired of remembering it was off 7 points and finally bought a precision set. I think I'll throw the old one at a cop car.

So... 874?

Add 1 more to the count. So 875? I did not even notice it was broken until it starting filling up with beer when measuring. The glass around the bottom had apparently chipped.

+1 = 876

Left within reach of my 3 year old. I was in the garden and he came to me with tears in his eyes and said, "Daddy, I broke your beer." Think he thought I would be mad. To be honest I was proud he came to me about it. At his age I would have hid it from my father.

878, A troll must have done it because I have no clue what happened. I filled the tube for a Skeeter Pee reading and it was the OG reading it read 1.030. If you have ever made Skeeter Pee you know thats horribly impossibly wrong as a OG. I picked the hydrometer up out of the liquid and it fell apart in two pieces. (Wasnt temperature shock either)

880 I've broken 2 in the last year and I don't know how. I pulled them out of thwir case and it split in two. The other I think was a temperature swing casualty. It was in the garage in january and I think that it just got too damn cold. :-/ I have one as a backup to the current hydrometer now.

+1 = 881

My first casualty a couple weeks ago. With out fail it always gets windy on my brew days. A gust blew through knocking a pitcher off my picnic table which contained the hyrdometer.

apparently I'm not allowed to put them on the counter anymore. swmbo has broken two now. I haven't broken one yet.

885. Two within a 2-month span. My wife accidentally broke the first one, picking up the test jar without realizing there was a hydrometer in there. Second one just slipped out of my hands. They should really make them in HDPE or PET models!

I drop mine in a tall glass filled with sanitizer after using it.. along with spoons, thermometers, etc.. so it can't roll around.

889. SWMBO put it down on the counter with something to keep it from rolling off, forgetting that one end was heavier. Swung around and CRASH. Awesome.

I breathed on my final gravity hydrometer and it shattered. Those things are super fragile.

I bought two extras, because they're cheap and I'm clumsy. Strangely, I have not broken any of them in the 19 months I've been brewing.

Now that I just bought a set of "precision" hydrometers and don't have extras, I'm pretty sure they're doomed.

Lost mine to shoddy packing in a move. Guess Ill never know the OG of the belgian I just brewed.

It was in the sleeve! I wasn't using it, holding it, I was minding my own business and the carboy decided that it needed to die. Crushed in the tube.

Why don't they make these things out of plastic?!!

Back