Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
694 last April...forgot it was floating in the starsan

695 last night...slipped out of my hand washing it after bottling a Black IPA

Slipped out of my hand last weekend while washing it after getting an OG reading on my honey porter. Already replaced, but looking to upgrade to a refractometer soon.

3 year old daughter thought it was a magic wand. It was til she dropped it...

BrewYoke said:

3 year old daughter thought it was a magic wand. It was til she dropped it...
This is my favorite one so far.

Was she sad when fairy dust didn't come out of it?

Had a party. Guys were smoking in my brew-garage. They knocked it over.

It looked in tact until the hydrometer filled up with wort.

709 - oops i guess i left it in the thief...cleanup in the basement...

710 - slippery hands in the sink.

+1 to an early christmas present and my first refractor :eek:

712 - Opened my brew cuboard to hear a strange rolling sound, by the time I had worked out what it was it was followed by a more familiar breaking sound.

716 - the one that arrived with my starter gear was broken in box. I bought another and it only made it through one brew. Haven't had the heart to buy another... been flying by instinct for the last 8 batches or so!

717-hit the floor as a result of my enjoying homebrew while brewing.
718- While joking about breaking another hydrometer, we made it through the day. I cleaned it and put it back in the tube. I realized my autosiphon still had water in it so I turned it over to pour out in the sink. The hydrometer was in the same hand with the lid off. That thing exploded at the bottom of the sink!

Had a dream last night about watching my hydrometer roll off of the keezer and land on the garage floor, only to not break!!! I have never broken one..but I'm not sure if this dream was a good sign or bad...

While taking the 3rd reading of a Milk Stout prior to a planned bottling this weekend.
Washed & rinsed it off. The summnabich jumped right out of my hands & headed towards the tile floor. Whew!
Caught it just it time. Put it in the middle of the dining room table on a dry towel.

And the cat decided to investigate. And play.

720- had a few to many while brewing and just dropped it.
721 brew stand collapsed on first 10 gal batch. Lost hydrometer, 10 gallons of home brew, and two bottles of yeast
722- toddler trying to take a reading. ( she can't wait to start brewing)

Finally bought a refract.

723- first batch I did, went to shake it dry after initial cleaning, learned the hard way to hold the heavy end when shaking...not the light end.

724- 3rd batch I was bringing a bunch of equipment up the stairs with just the hydrometer (in its plastic case) in my right hand. I proceeded to trip (up) the stairs. Fortunately the hydrometer was there to break my fall. I luckily had an extra by that time.

On my 10th batch and haven't broken one since with a refractometer hopefully in my future for Christmas!

bcrderrick said:
721 brew stand collapsed on first 10 gal batch

Wow. That could have ended very badly. People have sustained 3rd degree burns to most of their bodies, at times even fatally, from similar accidents involving massive spills of such hot and sticky liquid. That is why brewstands should ALWAYS be built to "overkill", and should NEVER be skimped on - the added costs of extra materials and stronger materials are NOTHING compared to the potential costs (both monetary and personal/physical "costs") that can result from such accidents. I'm very glad to see that you weren't seriously injured!

725 hydrometer in "protective" tube, carrying too much stuff to the garage. Back door gets caught in a breeze and in an instinctive move to stop it slamming, I tried and failed to grab the door.

What was that crunch? Oh.....

No injuries at all. No pictures either ( to sad to take one) the middle tier on my gravity stand buckled. We were all inside and heard the crash.

Oh man I can't believe I've never seen this thread before!

+5

I used my first hydrometer with no incidents for over six years, then I broke four of them in a row, in four different brew sessions! I was tearing my hair out. My wife, as a joke, went down to the LHBS and bought me a dozen hydrometers. Since then, I had one break when I accidentally tapped it too hard against the bottom of the SS sink while rinsing. That was maybe a year ago.

So, 730

733, I wasn't even brewing, and I moved something in the beer cabinet, and the bottom lightly bumped my sahti rocks. At least I have two...

735 Was transporting equipment for brew day at a friend's house and dropped the empty bottling bucket with an unprotected hydrometer in it. ForgotI had put it in there.

736 - left in "the Thief" setting in the sink. Thief was hit while cleaning, launching the hydrometer across the kitchen and to the floor. OG: ?

edit: I can't count

737- Dropped into a 1 gallon jug from too high a height. The real tragedy is I lost a gallon of good IPA

737- Removed from test tube and rinsed + sanitized. Then I popped it into it's protective sheath and it pushed out the bottom stopper and kept going into the sink. Smash. Mutha F(##(#(#~!!!

738- Sterilized and wrapped in a paper towel and placed into sterilized sheath. A protective, round sheath that rolls off the counter and lands on the tile floor. NOT BROKEN! Pull it out and check it. Miracle! This is going to be my lucky hydrometer. Re-wrap within a paper towel and put it in the protective sheath, put it in my supply bucket and then fall on my ass as I trip over the stupid dog. Everything's ok, nothing's broken, at least till next week when I pull it out of it's protective sheath.....

The next one is going to be my lucky hydrometer!

Latest posts

Back