Quantcast

Official Broken Hydrometer Count

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

zacster

Reaction score
I tempted fate by leaving mine in the dish drainer through the washing of dinner dishes by my very clumsy wife. It is still in one piece.

wsmith1625

Reaction score
Never broken one, but I have a question. Is that paper scale anchored in any way other than it being rolled up and pressed against the inside of the glass? what's to keep it from shifting? How do I check the calibration of mine to make sure the paper hasn't moved?
I believe the paper in my magic glass wand is held in place with fairy dust or clear glue. I'm leaning towards clear glue, but I don't know for sure. Either way, it works and the paper never slides around so I can trust it on brew day.

To calibrate it, check the calibration temperature printed on the paper in the tube, typically 60 or 68 degrees. Then fill your test tube with distilled water at that temperature. Your hydrometer should read 1.000. I calibrated mine with tap water and it worked just fine.

If it doesn't read 1.000 all is not lost. Change the temperature of your water until it reads 1.000. That is the new temperature that your hydrometer is calibrated at.

Also, on brew day you don't have to get your wort to 60 degrees, or whatever the temperature your hydrometer is calibrated at. You can use a calculate to adjust it for the temperature of your wort.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i know it says official in the title but, is this the real "busted hydrometer"?

i had my precision plain form in the dish rack, and was putting a few plates in, i swear i just brushed against it. DEAD! $30 down the trash can :(

i don't see a tally? so i'm guessing this isn't the thread i was looking for......

wsmith1625

Reaction score
i know it says official in the title but, is this the real "busted hydrometer"?

i had my precision plain form in the dish rack, and was putting a few plates in, i swear i just brushed against it. DEAD! $30 down the trash can :(

i don't see a tally? so i'm guessing this isn't the thread i was looking for......
I know you don't like tripple scales, so you may like this one. I'm very happy with it.

Amazon.com: American-Made Precision Hydrometer Alcohol by Volume ABV Tester – Accurate Final Gravity Testing, Finished Beer - Pro Series Finishing NIST Traceable (SINGLE) Brewing America: Kitchen & Dining

I also broke my test jar and bought this one, also from Brewing America. The jar is definitely thicker and a bit more durable than my previous one.

Glass Hydrometer Test Tube Jar & Cylinder Brush - Narrow Flask for Alcohol Testing Moonshine, Homebrew Beer, Home Wine Making Kits, Borosilicate Glass 3.3: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

i like the front end, what does is say on the reverse? it says ABV hydro? if it's got the same scale on the other side it's my new hydro! :mug:

wsmith1625

Reaction score
i like the front end, what does is say on the reverse? it says ABV hydro? if it's got the same scale on the other side it's my new hydro! :mug:
It just reads specific gravity at 60 degrees. I was hoping to get one calibrated at 68, but good luck finding one. I just adjust for temperature.

wsmith1625

Reaction score
sweet thanks for the link, now i just have figure out why plain form hydros cost more! ;)
Because they're not mass produced in China. I guess they think you're getting more bang for the buck with the triple scale, but they're hard to read and not as accurate.

der_Missionar

Reaction score
I guess its 2610+1... 2611

Busted one when I lowered it too fast into a bucket of stars san filled with bottles... I was privileged to clean 8 bottles a second time and start a fresh batch of starsan...

And wait a minute... hydrometers have to be read according to temperature? I've been doing this all wrong!

wsmith1625

Reaction score
I guess its 2610+1... 2611

Busted one when I lowered it too fast into a bucket of stars san filled with bottles... I was privileged to clean 8 bottles a second time and start a fresh batch of starsan...

And wait a minute... hydrometers have to be read according to temperature? I've been doing this all wrong!
Yeah, look on the stem and it will tell you the temp it's calibrated at. I used my old one for years without knowing that, but I was lucky because it was calibrated at 68 which is the temp I typically took my readings at before I pitched the yeast. I couldn't find a new one that I liked that was calibrated at 68, so I had to buy one calibrated at 60. The different in gravity points from 60-68 degrees of about .001 points, so it's really not a big deal if you don't adjust. It's just numbers, makes no difference to the quality of your beer.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
they're hard to read and not as accurate.
If you're that bothered, get a finishing hydrometer that goes up to 1.020 or so. They're not particularly easy to find here, but they make it much easier to get a good FG.

Miraculix

Reaction score

Delivery directly from China to Germany, didn't survive the transportation. Was packed loosely and broke. RIP little glass bulp.

Brooothru

Reaction score
I've never broken a hydrometer in nearly 50 years of winemaking and brewing (since 1973). I did, however, recently knock a refractometer off a work table onto a concrete floor. It rattles a bit now. I think a combining lens got knocked loose because the focus is no longer linear, so the readings can't be trusted.

Can I at least get an "honorable mention" in the competition? On the brighter side, Santa is bringing me a new digital electric refractometer. It was a crushing accident when my refractometer hit the floor. At least that's what I told "Santa."

Brooo Brother