Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broke 2 in rapid succession, but now that I have 2 it's been more than a year since those 2.

1039 I broke my first one as I was cleaning up after bottling my first brew. Fortunately, I was done with it.

I've been brewing over 5 years and this is my first broken hydrometer. Guess that's not too bad.....

NRS

1049....I've gone through 4 in as many months! First was in the sink, then in the tube, one in starsan in my sanitizomg bucket, last one was freak accident the same day as purchased and after 1 use!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I have already broke two.. and I am a newbe.... I had no idea that glass was so thin! First one cut my pinky and had to get three stitches... still can't feel the end of my finger!

Broke my first hydrometer yesterday. Lasted 2 years. Worst part is it broke because I backed into a table it was on while dropping a glass Carboy. Double whammy and shame lol.

1055: It developed many hairline fractures all around the lead end for some unknown reason. The beer gods saved it from shattering in my beer! :)

Sigh. Busted my first last night. Wasn't even drinking. Darn thing just slipped out of its tube and crashed on the floor. No backup so guess I won't know the FG of this batch. Live and probably won't learn.

Luckily 3 spares, a local non-LHBS store was getting rid of them at about $1 a piece ... should have bought more ...

Fell over in the sink and was just a micro-second to slow to save it.
Number 2 for me. :(

'da Kid

BrokenHydrometer2.jpg

Broken 2 so far this year. One precision and a cheap one. The refractometer will be here tomorrow.

By the way those little black pellets won't vacuum up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Broke my first one and testing tube thingy, was pulling all my stuff out to transfer to secondary and grab a hydro reading and it slipped from my hand, it was in the plastic holder and inside of beaker to measure, I was like well that's a sign not to transfer

Gave it a shake after dipping in star San solution and it snapped in my hand. Live and learn I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

in my sanitizing bucket. It didn't take well to having stuff on top of it as it sat at an angle. had to wait 2 days to get another one and check my OG. I like the new one better, bigger numbers.

I knocked it and the test jar it was sitting in with a towel while drying a carboy. It had been around for a while. I will miss it. Although I have (had) three, this was my go to.

Barry

Well...chit.

1071. It broke in my hand. I was just holding it. I've had the damn thing since 2003.

1080, I've also broken 2 in six months.... The first one was in my mouth when it broke. Luckily, no cuts... not sure how! I learned my lesson... we only have two hands, don't use your mouth as a way to hold stuff (ESPECIALLY GLASS HYDROMETERS).

Mine isn't broken, but it doesn't work. The resin inside melted a bit in the sun and now it floats crooked and the beads are not stuck in the bottom.

1080.5? haha.

1082. Or does it not count if it were broken during shipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just taking it out of the case broke the top and cut my finger. Fortunately I always keep a spare. This time i'm spending the big bucks ($83) and buying a polycarbonate replacement. If it lasts 3 years I'll be on pace to break even (and save some blood!)

1088 - both broken in the middle of brew days dumping out my sanitizer. Being a chemical engineer I've acquired a much better electronic density meter that is amazing.

1089...I broke my first one today. I have 2 more. I was told to buy a few of them as they break pretty easy.

Back