Off smell, fine flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmmurphy88

Reaction score
hey all, happy thanksgiving! (I know it's tomorrow but whatever)

I've read a few threads and didn't see exactly what I'm dealing with, I think

I'm new to brewing just completed my fourth brew and bottled my third. my first brew, a Belgium wit, came out great, everyone liked it. my second, a nut brown ale, is a little off. I tried some after 2 weeks conditioning and it had what I thought could/ would be the green flavor of beer I've read about.

well I had a buddy drink some he thought they were good but not all there. the flavor is fine, it tastes like a Newcastle, even though I was going for something a little more malty, either way it tastes okay. but it smells off, like a chemical or stringent smell. it doesn't smell like feces, or anything.

is this just green still? only been conditioning 2.5 weeks and I know it could take more time. the flavor got better after the 2-3 extra days, but the smell persisted. I just want to get some feedback on that as it tastes fine and you can't smell it a lot while drinking, but if you just take a whiff it smells chemically. any help is appreciated thanks!

Give'em another week or so & try it again. What's the temp of the place you're keeping the bottles? Too cool & they'll take longer to carb. colder still & the yeast will go dormant.

Definitely give it some more time to condition. 2.5 weeks isn't long enough at all. I like to give my beers about 4 weeks minimum and even then they sometimes need longer.

thanks for the advice. I keep them at about 69-72° I put some in the fridge, should I keep those in there since they are already there?

I have done more of this batch so I'll let them sit a few more weeks and try again. I just know 2 weeks was the minimum.

Back