Off flavors?? Or just needing age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagnarTheRed

Reaction score
I recently brewed a cyser and it's down to 1.01 almost ready to bottle. Took a sample for gravity reading and tasted but it was pretty good but a bit sour tasting. Is this because it hasn't been clarified yet? Also, should I let it ferment for a bit longer before cold crashing and bottling? Can provide recipe if need be for helpful answers.

Apples contain a lot of acid that really stand out with higher abv, time and degassing will help with a lot of the off flavors.

Could be because it hasn't been clarified and aged a little. Sometimes yeast will taste a little sour. I target 1.010 to perform my first racking. Then let it "Finish" in what I call secondary until it is clear or complete. (Complete for me is when two gravity readings 5 - 7 days apart are the same.) Then cold crash and clarify. Some of my ciders like beer take 4 - 8 weeks or longer to "mature" prior to that they are what I would consider a little "green" and can have some slightly off flavors.

Apples contain a lot of acid that really stand out with higher abv, time and degassing will help with a lot of the off flavors.
What would be the best way to degas with minimum oxidization? Idk if I want to open the 6.9 gal bucket list because it has a tap that I can attach to my bottle wand without ever even having to expose the cyser to open air for an extended period. If I shook it really good to degas will I have trouble with settling after cold crashing?

Could be because it hasn't been clarified and aged a little. Sometimes yeast will taste a little sour. I target 1.010 to perform my first racking. Then let it "Finish" in what I call secondary until it is clear or complete. (Complete for me is when two gravity readings 5 - 7 days apart are the same.) Then cold crash and clarify. Some of my ciders like beer take 4 - 8 weeks or longer to "mature" prior to that they are what I would consider a little "green" and can have some slightly off flavors.
Awesome, that's very helpful. Thanks for the info. It's my first 5gal batch of ANYTHING and also my first time using apple juice

What would be the best way to degas with minimum oxidization? Idk if I want to open the 6.9 gal bucket list because it has a tap that I can attach to my bottle wand without ever even having to expose the cyser to open air for an extended period. If I shook it really good to degas will I have trouble with settling after cold crashing?
Me personally, I wouldn't take that lid off for any reason.
Make or buy a wire whip degasser and insert it into the bucket through the airlock grommet. Use a drill to spin it; as soon as you start mixing the gas coming out of solution will purge the headspace and force any oxygen out through the grommet.

Latest posts

Back