Off flavors in my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
I've described in detail my first homebrew batch here. All the way through bottling it seemed to go pretty smoothly and I even sampled a bit during bottling and I didn't detect any weirdness.

I cracked open two last night, the mason jar and one bottle. The mason jar didn't have any off flavors, but there was almost no carbonation (though there was a huge outward rushing of air when when I opened it). The bottle had a slight head and was definitely more fizzy than the mason jar. It was drinkable, but with a few gulps, underneath the nice bitter, hoppy flavor, there was an unmistakable non-beer aftertaste that I would sort of describe as plastic-y (is this phenols?).

Where did this come from? I didn't notice this at all before bottling, and I thought I was pretty careful with sanitation. Will the flavors go away? I'm getting married in 3 weeks and was hoping to give some away at the wedding (I've been hyping it considerably! I even printed up labels!) but I worry that this will turn people off.

On the plus side, the beer darkened considerably during bottle conditioning and the real watery characteristic I noticed when bottling is gone.

It's been 16 days... with 2 weeks in primary and 2 in secondary, so some of the conditioning should have already happened.

EDIT: From reading the links, I see patience is key. It's just that I also have a birthday in a couple days and I wanted to see if it was ready...

And I already gave two away to coworkers (including my boss).... Blast!!

To be honest though, it wasn't half bad but for a gulp or two in the middle.

I only chilled one or two. The chill didn't kill the yeast did it? Should I tell my coworkers to bring them back to room temp for a couple days before imbibing?

So, apparently that means that my second batch, a bitter dark wheat that I won't be bottling until July 30, will not be ready to drink by August 16? What a bummer.

So, apparently that means that my second batch, a bitter dark wheat that I won't be bottling until July 30, will not be ready to drink by August 16? What a bummer.

This is a game of patience, sorry, but when you are dealing with living yeastie beasties, you are living with a timeframe that is different from ours....

I leave my beers a minimum of 3 weeks in primary, usually a full month. And don't crack my bottles till the 3rd week...

The only time this is a pita is when you are beginning...when you build up your pipeline it won't matter...You will have so many batches in different stages- Primary, Bottle conditioning, Secondary (if you use them,) you will lose track.

I have to keep good notes and use a calendar. Coming up on FOOTBALL SEASON so I need my pipeline maxed out.
Hawaii has no professional teams, so I can root for all the underdogs and have a blast regardless of who looses. I just enjoy the games with lots of homebrew.

The nice thing about many of the wheats is that they're meant to be drunk young. My bavarian hefe was 2 weeks in the primary and straight to bottles. Will be a week in the bottles this Sunday, and I'm figuring 3 weeks and I'll be up to my nipples in hefe.

Phenol flavors are still there after the full 3 weeks... Better, but still there.

Just going to leave them to condition and hope they mellow out by August 16...

Back