Off flavor in high ABV APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I don't know exactly how to describe it, its a sharpish bitter taste. Its not astringent like how a tannic red wine will taste, but sharp in a sort of metallic way where the alcohol is very apparent, almost feels over carbed on the the tongue but its not over carbed.

The beer is an amber ale with a good amount of hops (bout 5 oz total, most late/flameout additions...also dry hopped) . The ABV came in at 8.4%.
Grain bill was 50/50 Two Row and Light Munich malt. What happened on brew day was that the grain soaked up much more of the liquid than I anticipated, so where I expected to get 5-5.25 gal, I wound up closer to 4.25 gal and a significantly higher OG and subsequent ABV (was expecting to get around 7-7.1% range). So not a great result but I've had screw ups before and still wound up with something decent if not exactly what I was going for.

Anyone experienced something similar? I guess I'll give it a couple more weeks and then dump it if it doesent get better, but its been a week so far and no improvement.

Not with high ABV, but I had a nasty kinda metallic bitter thing in a neipa once. Kept hoping it would settle out, but no. You may have better luck, with some patience.

Give it time!
A week is very short for conditioning. Put them to the back of the fridge and forget about them. Or set a weekly reminder on yr phone and try 1 bottle per week.

For next time, just add water to get to your desired OG

Back