Off flavor from dried kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
I’ve been having troubles with a consistent off flavor with 2 different kveik strains that I have used then dried from 2 sources. I’m not quite sure how to describe the flavor. It’s a bit tart and kind of cidery but not acetyldehyde - green apple flavor. Another thing to mention is that they were all IPAs and the hop aroma/flavor is almost nonexistent, but doesn’t taste or look oxidized.

The last 3 beers I’ve made have had the same issue. The first 2 were using hornindal from omega and the third was Oslo from Bootleg Biology. I pitched both into separate beers from original packaging and had great beers. I made starters and dried that or dried the yeast cake from the fermented batch. I have a feeling I picked up an infection in the drying process since it’s in all 3 beers. The yeast was dried in a dehydrator at 95F and stored in the freezer after that.

Another strange thing I noticed was with the most recent batch with Oslo. I brewed last Friday and checked on it yesterday and it was smelling normal and hoppy. Then checked on it this morning and a huge krausen had formed and disappeared overnight and the beer developed the same taste/smell as the others. In my last fermentation with Oslo it formed very little krausen as it’s a bottom fermenting yeast.

I’m getting very frustrated and am looking for a direction to go in from here. Does anyone have any pointers for what I should do?

That’s my next step for sure. I’m going to clean my carboy then bleach it just to be safe and try a normal ale strain. I was just hoping to figure out what went wrong with the dried kveik so I can continue using it in the future.

It wasn't clear if all of the problematic batches used your dried yeast.
Did the "original" pitched beers come out ok or did they have the same issues as the dried/re-used batches?

Cheers!

Yea the three bad batches were from dried yeast. The original batches that I dried the yeast from were both very good with no off flavors.

I've had some weird batches, in particular when using Oslo and "pale lagers". From what I've seen, it seems like there is a greater pH drop due to more organic acids (kveik strains in general produce more organic acids, but I've personally noticed it more with Oslo). I have since had success making sure to buffer my worts and monitor pHs throughout the brew. If you brew with very soft water (which is what I do when making my pale lagers) I would suggest adding in a bit of bicarb and see if that does the trick... I'm generally using about 2-4 g of Na bicarb in my 3 gal batches. It can be used during the mash if your mash pH allows or just add it to your wort prior to pitching your yeast.

might be strain might be drying process, when i dry my kveik (framgarden, gjernes, hornindal) I always preheat my oven to 350 for 5 minutes with my sheet pan inside (I have a gas stove). then i let it cool to room temp and put it on dehydrate mode at 100 degrees. I put down parchment paper and dump all the dregs from the fermentation onto the sheet. After the yeast has become solid enough to flip in one piece i do that. After it becomes breakable I break it into palm sized chunks and dry it some more then let cool and store in ziplock bags in the freezer.

I’ve definitely heard that some kveiks finish with a lower pH. But my concern is that it’s not only tart but the hop flavors are completely gone. I recently made another batch and fermented with White Labs London Fog and got the same results. Smelled great and normal for 2 days, then completely changed. I also cleaned, then bleached, then sanitized with starsan my carboy before brewing. I’m really at a loss for what could be going on and I’m not sure what to do next. I suppose I’ll brew a completely different beer style and see if I’m getting the same flavor.

Back