Off flavor - cannot figure it out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for evabarrier tubing. And +1 to disassembling everything to thoroughly clean. I doubt its a water issue with a description of "meaty". Take my suggestion for what its worth, but I would try buying a few packets of dry yeast and directly sprinkle ontop. I know this is not good practice, but for testing purposes, it will remove all handling of yeast, if the problem is there, that will show you pretty quick. Then can work on this process.
My 2 cents is to also take it back to basic and temporarily remove all unnecessary things, eg, aeration stone.

Can you smell it in the fermenter putting your head completely inside? Are there scratches in it or whatever?

I had a problem with a fermenter that had to clean several times with different things to rid of odour.

Anyway, goodluck. Its heartbreaking to spend all that energy and time in a brew to be disappointed.
No noticeable off smell in the fermentation chamber. I’m using a glass bigmouth carboy so no noticeable scratches. Am going to try an extra extra deep clean on all equipment before my next brew to see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

@BirchBeer FYI, most supermarkets sell vegemite in the internation sections around all of the British good. I only know this because I’m immature and chuckle every time I walk past the Spotted Dick.

My money is on your water. Arrowhead isnt bad but the southern distro is bottled in Riverside. Not exactly an ideal place of clean water. If your northern I think they bottle in Redding (may be wrong).

@seatazzz I would like to know what happened with the overpitched Kviek. If you’ve already posted I’m happy to go hunting
Pretty much I didn't read enough before pitching an entire jar of Loki slurry into a 1.055 SG batch. Too much yeast, not enough for all of them to eat and a lot died, leaving a fairly expensive orange Wit with a huge bandaidy/phenolic/autolysed flavor. I've since done another batch (with the same strain) where I pitched a scant 1/2 cup of slurry and it resulted in HUGE pineapple esters, exactly what I was going for in that particular beer. Live and learn.

I would stop using dish soap personally. It seems to be a common part of these off flavor threads. I reccomend an oxygen cleaner like PBW. Just my opinion.

I would stop using dish soap personally. It seems to be a common part of these off flavor threads. I reccomend an oxygen cleaner like PBW.
Yeah, using dish soap can lead to other problems such as killing foam creating components and thus head.

(Generic) Oxiclean is a lot cheaper than PBW, as much as by a factor of 10, and just as effective in most all-round brewery cleaning. Or use washing soda, Oxiclean.without.the.oxygen.

Where it really counts add some TSP or TSP/90 (10-30%) turning it into homemade PBW or just save your PBW for that.

Yeah, using dish soap can lead to other problems such as killing foam creating components and thus head.

(Generic) Oxiclean is a lot cheaper than PBW, as much as by a factor of 10, and just as effective in most all-round brewery cleaning. Or use washing soda, Oxiclean.without.the.oxygen.

Where it really counts add some TSP or TSP/90 (10-30%) turning it into homemade PBW or just save your PBW for that.

Here's a pretty good article about it:

https://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/11/super-charge-your-oxiclean.html

2022 update. Ends up: It was my hops. Very old hops give a bandaid, almost burnt plastic flavor to the beer that was aweful. Never use old, been lying around sack of hops. Mine were 2-4 years old. almost no concern for storage. I had around 6 beers ruined by this.

2022 update. Ends up: It was my hops. Very old hops give a bandaid, almost burnt plastic flavor to the beer that was aweful. Never use old, been lying around sack of hops. Mine were 2-4 years old. almost no concern for storage. I had around 6 beers ruined by this.
Did you intent to post that ^ in this thread? Seems out of context.

Back