Off Flavor and Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixosx

Reaction score
I have what I believe is a brewing chemistry related question.

I have made several batches recently of the following recipe:
3.5 gallons

2lbs 2 row
1lbs maris otter
1lbs pilsner
.5lbs crystal 10
.5lbs carapils
.5lbs crystal 40
3 oz of different hops at flame out and a 60 min steep.
the only common hop is El Dorado

I used RO water and treated it to the mild ale profile and again to the Yellow balanced profile with bru'n water.

I controlled pH to 5.2 at room temp (this is another question, should it be 5.2 at room temp or .2- .3 above 5.2 at room temp? More around 5.4-5.5?)

Both batches had a horrible astringency that was not present until i added the hops at flame out. Wort tastes wonderful all throughout mashing and boil, then hops are added and it tastes like solvent/diesel fuel like. Also, there is not a lot of hop aroma, it mostly smells solvent like. both batches could not be consumed:mad:

I am trying to figure out where I am going wrong or if I am adding something that could be reacting with the hops. I use RO water from the grocery store, not sure if something could be in the water, although I doubt it. Do brewing salts go bad? I have had mine for about 2 to 3 years. In-between these batches I did a 3.5 gal Mild Ale where I added 2 oz if EKG at 7 min. This beer did not have the off flavor/odor and I did use the same brewing salts and equipment (I may have uses a different hose to run off from the mash tun to build kettle, can't remember). I may have used bottle distilled water, instead of RO from the grocery store, I'm not sure.

Lastly I made a control batch this last Friday of Jamil's Pale ale from Brewing with Classic Styles and it may be ok, it did not have as much of the flavor/aroma, but appeared to slightly. I will have wait until fermentation is complete and it is pegged before I will be able to really tell.

I mostly use gypsum, CaCl and epson salt for water adjustments along with 88% lactic or 10% Phosphoric for pH adjustment. Baking soda is sometimes use to add bicarb when needed, like with the mild ale profile.

If anyone can point me to the possible cause I would greatly appreciate it!!!

This should tell you something.

So I made another 3.5 gallon batch without El Dorado Hops. I used RO water and 1/2 tsp calcium chloride (just enough to get me 50 ppm of calcium) in the mash and .5 ml of lactic acid in the sparge water. Same issue this time but not as bad, previous batches were considerable worse. I added the first wort hops and as it started to boil it had an off, chemical type smell. I got toward the end of the boil and started the hop bursting with columbus, citra and amarillo. When i started adding the late additions it almost smelled like burning tires, and tasted like it as well, nothing like hops.

My calcium chloride is a bit old and is stored in my basement. I smelled the plastic container I store it in, and it did smell a bit chemical like. I threw it away and will by a small container of CC for future brews. Could there be an issue with the CC? could anything react with the acids or resins in hops to create this flavor?

This is a very recent problem, and I am really scratching my head trying to figure out what the issue is.

Mash pH was 5.3 and boil was about 5.35 if it matters. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back