Odell St. Lupulin Extra Pale Ale Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitoog

Reaction score
Any idea of what hops go into this beer? I tasted it the other day and really liked it. It had fairly low IBU's but had a lovely floral/hoppy aroma. Would really like to try to attempt a clone. Very easy to drink with the low bitterness.

Any idea of what hops go into this beer? I tasted it the other day and really liked it. It had fairly low IBU's but had a lovely floral/hoppy aroma. Would really like to try to attempt a clone. Very easy to drink with the low bitterness.

You get O'dells on the other side of the Pond? WOW!!!!

cheers for link Oldsock, had a look at the site alright. never seen the pdf for Lupulin.
I actually got my St. Lupulin shipped over from the UK, probably available in Dublin I guess. I will make some sort of attempt at a clone. It will be nice for once to make a hoppy beer with fairly low IBU's. A beer with cascade and centennial along with some perle is gonna taste good to me anyway :D

cheers for link Oldsock, had a look at the site alright. never seen the pdf for Lupulin.
I actually got my St. Lupulin shipped over from the UK, probably available in Dublin I guess. I will make some sort of attempt at a clone. It will be nice for once to make a hoppy beer with fairly low IBU's. A beer with cascade and centennial along with some perle is gonna taste good to me anyway :D

Where'd you get it from in the UK ?

I just saw this thread and am hoping that someone has come up with a good recipe over the past year. Anyone out there find out what the grain bill and yeast is?

I emailed Odells and here was their response. Hope this helps:

Some of the hops we use are Columbus, Perle, Chinook, Amarillo, and
Centennial and we hop back using whole flowers of some of these. Some of
the malts we use are Pale Malt, ESB Malt, Vienna, and Caramalt. Both the
IPA and St. Lupulin are hop backed and dry hopped in addition to the
boil addition.

I really dug this beer when I tried it last week. Here is a recipe I have come up with to try and come close to it. I am looking at brewing it in next weekend and would welcome some input.
This is a 5 gallon batch

10 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)
2 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
Mash at 154F for 90 min and batch sparge at 168F

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop)

60 min 0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min)
30 min 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min)
15 min 0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min)
10 min 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min)

10 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)

1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) [Starter 2000 ml]
(I am reusing this yeast from another batch I made last month. It attenuated at 86%)

It has a lot of mouth feel so you're probably pretty close with the carapils. I'd add between .25 and .5 lbs of ESB since Odells told me that's part of the grain bill. I'd go 20L with the caramel for a bit more color. Also, the hops include Columbus, Perle, Chinook, Amarillo, and Centennial. Perle is used for bittering only. I know they also use columbus in the hopback and dry hopping, as well as centennial. For the yeast, you might try California Ale. I used it with a clone of their IPA and it was excellent. Hope that helps.

I emailed Odells and here was their response. Hope this helps:

Some of the hops we use are Columbus, Perle, Chinook, Amarillo, and
Centennial and we hop back using whole flowers of some of these. Some of
the malts we use are Pale Malt, ESB Malt, Vienna, and Caramalt. Both the
IPA and St. Lupulin are hop backed and dry hopped in addition to the
boil addition.

I emailed Odells about this beer early June as well. I received the same response above, exactly. Mine started with the following line and then the text above was after that: "I can't give out our recipes but I can let you in on a few things."

I'm guessing they get a few inquiries about this beer since they have a canned response.

I'd like to brew up a similar beer this summer so please keep us posted if there are any successful clones!

any update on clone attempts? frigging love this beer. just a fantastic aroma, great taste and very easy to drink.

I'll take a stab at the recipe this weekend and then post it soon. I'm going to email Odell's to see if they could tell me the OG and the IBUs. This should help me figure out the grain bill and hop additions.

If anyone knows what kind of yeast they use, this would be really helpful. I'll see if I can find this out also. Anyone have this info?

not sure on the yeast, but it has such a clean profile that I'd guess 1056 would get you pretty darn close.

I'll take a stab at the recipe this weekend and then post it soon. I'm going to email Odell's to see if they could tell me the OG and the IBUs. This should help me figure out the grain bill and hop additions.

If anyone knows what kind of yeast they use, this would be really helpful. I'll see if I can find this out also. Anyone have this info?

I was looking at their site last night and its listed at 46 IBU's... Let us know if you find out more, as this is currently my new favorite beer and I may have to try an attempt at brewing it as well.

OK, I worked up an AG recipe. Here it is--let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

PS: this is based on 70% efficiency. Adjust the grain bill accordingly. Also, you'll notice a lot of late-hopping. I did this because I wanted to really highlight the flavor and aroma hops.

5 gallon batch
Estimated OG: 1.065
TG: 1.012-1.016
6.45% alcohol
46 IBU

5 lb American 2-row
5 lb Pale Ale Malt
1.5 lb Vienna Malt
1 lb CaraFoam
.4 lb Extra Special Malt
.8 lb Caramel Malt 10L

.2 oz Perle (8.2%) - 60 min
.1 oz Columbus (15.0%) - 60 min
.2 oz Perle (8.2%) - 30 min
.1 oz Chinook (13.0%) - 30 min
.1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 30 min
.1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - 30 min
.1 oz Columbus (15.0%) - 15 min
.15 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 15 min
.15 oz Centennial (10.0%) - 15 min
.1 oz Chinook (13.0%) - 10 min
.2 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 10 min
.2 oz Centennial (10.0%) - 10 min
.1 oz Chinook (13.0%) - 5 min
.3 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 5 min
.3 oz Centennial (10.0%) - 5 min
.2 oz Columbus (15.0%) - 0 min or hopback
.3 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 0 min or hopback
.3 oz Centennial (10.0%) - 0 min or hopback
.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - dry hop for 12-14 days
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - dry hop for 12-14 days
.5 oz Columbus (15.0%) - dry hop for 12-14
You could go big on the dry hopping and add 1 ounce of each. Odell's usually adds 150 lbs of hops to their dry hopping. They also specify that they only usually use leaf hops for the finally dry hopping. With lupulin, they do a double dry hopping--so you could add one round of pellet hops at the front end of the secondary fermentation and another round of leaf hops with about 5 days to go (about 8-9 days into the secondary)

White Labs WLP051 California Ale V

Mash grains at 151-152 for 1 hour.

You guys have read my mind. I was at O'Dells Friday and tried a pint of St Lupulin. I really liked it and want to brew a clone also. I have some good connections at O'Dell's and will try to get a recipe if I can.

I also "harvested" five gallons of water out of the West Branch of the Laramie River while fly fishing last week. Will brew this clone with it.
34587_1392880221022_1202660624_30984107_5279005_n.jpg

Hey, that would be awesome if one of your connections could give you the inside scoop. Even if they could let you know what kind of yeast to use.

With the water you took out of the river, do you know what the mineral content is? You may want to do a ph test on it to make sure the water is hard enough--otherwise you can just add some extra gypsum. Good luck with the brew!

I picked up my grains yesterday and here is my final recipe. I didn't change my hop schedule much. I had .5 oz. of Nugget left over so I put that in place of the Perle. If you run it through Beersmith the IBU's come out a little high.

I ran high because I think most of the hops I have been getting lately are from last growing season so they have lost some IBU's. This is just a theory but I have dry hopped my last couple of beers and just didn't get as much aroma as I thought I should. You may want to take this into consideration and go a full ounce on your dry hopping. Hop aroma seems to be the essence of this beer so it couldn't hurt.

If I wasn't so cheap I would have gone with a California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) yeast. I did a common brew last month and I think this may be pretty close to what Odell's pitches for St.Lupulin. I am hoping the Northwest ale does it for me.

Anyway you cut it I think we both have a couple of homeruns here. Should be some tasty brews regardless of how close they are to St.Lupulin. I'm looking to brew this Friday. I will keep you posted.

5 gallon batch
Estimated OG: 1.070
Estimated FG: 1.013
7.42% alcohol
67.6 IBU (I never trust this when first wort hopping in Beersmith)
Mash 154F for 60min
90 min boil

10 lbs Great Western Premium 2-Row Malt (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Organic Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (8.0 SRM)
1 lbs Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop)
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop)

0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min)
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (15 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min)
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)

1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) [Starter 2000 ml]

Looks like a good recipe. This will be a bit more malty and alcoholic than Lupulin, which is only 6.5%. You're probably right about the IBUs--I always bump them up by 10% this time of year when you're dealing with last year's hop harvest. I also stay away from leaf hops, which can get a bit cheesy after a year.

Let me know how it turns out!

How did it turn out anyone??? I've depleted the last of my reserves of this wonderful beverage and am really looking forward to trying to make this in the near future as I don't think that I can make it a year without it... Thanks!

I got another email from Odells and they told me they use a German Ale yeast in all their Ales. I have a feeling that they have their own special strain, but a WYeast German Ale starter would work. I used it with the last clone I made of Lupulin and it turned out nice. Ferment at about 58 degrees and this will give it a smooth finish.

Used the attached recipe that was posted and and brewed a little over a month ago. Followed the grain bill exactly. Changed up the hops a bit and did a 60 min. boil instead of 90 min. 2 weeks in the primary (62F-65F), 2 weeks in the secondary, bottled and sampled after 8 days....still early and needs some aging (another month ?). I think I would probably do a 90 min. boil next time. This one is missing some of the hop kick that St. Lupulin has. Ended up right at 6.5% abv though. Overall the version I made is a more mild version ....lots of similarities though. I used a California Ale yeast...not sure what I'd make of a German Ale yeast as noted above ?? Thanks to whoever posted the below recipe...it's going to be a great beer for spring/summer none the less !
==========================================
10 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)
2 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
Mash at 154F for 90 min and batch sparge at 168F

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) *** did not follow did 60 min. as noted below ****

60 min 0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min)
30 min 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) ***used Cascade ****
15 min 0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min)
10 min 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) *** used Cascade ***

10 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) *** used 1.0 oz. Willamette instead *****
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) *** didn't use ****

1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) [Starter 2000 ml] **** Used White Labs California Ale instead******

This is one of my favorite beers, I think I might brew this up next week.

kchomebrew, how come you didn't do any late additions?

Well I brewed this up Friday.

Batch size 5.5 gallons
Boil size 6.4 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes

2 Row Base
37ppg, 1.5°L 10 pounds
75.5%
Vienna
35ppg, 4°L 1.5 pounds
11.3%
CaraPils
33ppg, 1.5°L 1 pound
7.5%
Crystal 10L
35ppg, 10°L 0.5 pounds
3.8%
Special B
30ppg, 140°L 0.25 pounds
1.9%

Centennial hops
8.8%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
FWH
Perle hops
8%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
60 minutes (+0)
Cascade hops
5.4%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Amarillo hops
10.9%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Wort chiller 15 minutes (+45)
Cascade hops
5.4%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Amarillo hops
10.9%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Centennial hops
10%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Centennial hops
10%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
0 minutes

OG 1.054

Used WLP029, I hope to hit a target Final Gravity around 1.012 which will get around 6.5% ABV. Probably dry hop with Cascade and Amarillo, I will decide depending how it tastes when I rack to secondary in a few weeks.

Well I brewed this up Friday.

Batch size 5.5 gallons
Boil size 6.4 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes

2 Row Base
37ppg, 1.5°L 10 pounds
75.5%
Vienna
35ppg, 4°L 1.5 pounds
11.3%
CaraPils
33ppg, 1.5°L 1 pound
7.5%
Crystal 10L
35ppg, 10°L 0.5 pounds
3.8%
Special B
30ppg, 140°L 0.25 pounds
1.9%

Centennial hops
8.8%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
FWH
Perle hops
8%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
60 minutes (+0)
Cascade hops
5.4%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Amarillo hops
10.9%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Wort chiller 15 minutes (+45)
Cascade hops
5.4%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Amarillo hops
10.9%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Centennial hops
10%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Centennial hops
10%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
0 minutes

OG 1.054

Used WLP029, I hope to hit a target Final Gravity around 1.012 which will get around 6.5% ABV. Probably dry hop with Cascade and Amarillo, I will decide depending how it tastes when I rack to secondary in a few weeks.

Dry hopped with 1oz of Amarillo and another of Columbus and bottled today.

Got a great taste, the hops really shine, I am digging the wlp029 for ales honestly. It would be tough to duplicate this recipe without a hop back put I think the grain bill is pretty damn close, thanks to all that have contributed, I think this will be a real good one. Cheers!

I tired this beer yesterday and it is amazing. What did everyone think about the recipes posted here. Any chance someone can help me out with an extract recipe please.

Reviving this old thead because Lup' is one of my favorite beers.

Here's my attempt at a clone/Lup'-inspired beer. I love Lup but I'd like to make it a little lighter and more sessionable (I realize that my recipe is still too strong to be a real session, but it helps). I also love FWH and wanted to play with using that instead of a traditional buttering addition. Added some Citra because I love it. Also going with WLP090 instead of German Ale yeast to get a dry crisp taste that brings out the hop tastes from the FWH. Here's my attempt. Criticism gladly accepted.

Title: St Lupulin Clone

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.83%
IBU (tinseth): 52.65
SRM (morey): 6.63

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - American - Pale 2-Row 1.8L (52.2%)
4 lb - American - Pale Ale 3L (34.8%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (4.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Vienna (4.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (4.2%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: First Wort, IBU: 4.75
0.25 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: First Wort, IBU: 5.53
0.25 oz - chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: First Wort, IBU: 6.53
0.1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 1.56
0.1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 1.81
0.1 oz - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 2.14
0.1 oz - citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 1.81
0.1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 1.14
0.1 oz - Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 1.2
0.1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 1.72
0.1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 0.63
0.1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 0.73
0.1 oz - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 0.86
0.1 oz - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 0.73
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min IBU: 5.86
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min IBU: 6.81
0.5 oz - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min IBU: 8.85
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

YEAST:
White Labs - San Diego Super Yeast WLP090
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 79.5%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 68 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Update: Not AT ALL like St Lupulin. Really reminiscent of 10Barrel Apocalypse IPA, actually. Oh well, super delish anyway.

Hi, I am reaching out, out of desperation. St. Lupulin is my favorite spring time seasonal. I have been drinking it since I can remember it's existence, apparently since at least 2009. The folks at Odell expanded their distribution around 2017 to places that I feel don't do the seasonal beer market and are saturated with pales (at least that was what I saw in Oklahoma/Texas). So, in 2020, during the pandemic, while waiting patiently for the April/May ritual, I kept waiting...and waiting... and waiting... until 2021.... at which point I started begging them on their social media to brew it.... they finally did, and made an announcement that they would only have one day that they would sell it... I took off of work and drove the 2+ hours to the location and bought $250 worth of Lupe and kept it in my fridge, drinking it sparingly, in case it was the last can on earth.... so in 2022, I asked when they would release it... and they eventually said they weren't doing that.... no one drinks it., people say they like it, but they don't buy it.... THAT rubbed me the wrong way.... there are plenty of people who love this beer and plenty more who would love it if they had a chance to try it. I should know. I had a house sitter, a dear friend, who I specifically told they could have anything in the house, but do NOT drink the St. Lupulin in the fridge, as I cannot buy it ever again.... so I came home after two weeks, and every single can is gone. Very disappointing, to say the very least.
That brings me to my request: You all seem like you liked this beer enough to want to clone it. How do you think we/I can convince the powers that be at Odell that this beer is worth brewing again? Do you think a letter writing campaign would do it? Would you help? If I posted an address and a draft letter, would you send it to them? Do you think a petition would do it? Collecting signatures?
I had hashtags and posted them with everything I wrote about, but they don't care and I suck at that stuff anyway. I used to take my last can of Lupe with me to snowy fields and take photos, but my friend through out all of them, so I don't even have any emties. sigh. Please help. From what I have read above, noone seems to have cloned the recipe successfully... so I am wondering if we can convince them to share it, now that they don't want to brew it again? What do you think?
#saveourspring #springmeanslupe #Lupe2021 #Lupe2022 #stlupulin

Back