Odell 90 Shilling Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you had pretty good luck with this recipe ?

Here is what I came up with taking 1/2 of your recipe:

untitled.jpg

The all grain version turned out great and is in my top 10 for sure. I did have to let the yeast settle for a while, that kolsch yeast would not flocculate out. I have NOT brewed the extract version so I cant tell you if it will turn out the same. I use beersmith and took the original recipe and converted it to an extract version.

If you end up brewing this let us know how it turned out.

Wait. It's a "90 Shilling" ale and it's not a Scottish Ale?

Two things if this is true. First, I call BS on calling it a 90 Shilling Ale. And second, my advice is not so useful. But if this was a Scottish Ale I would suggest a boil down of the first gallon of runnings down to half or even a quarter of the original volume. This will contribute the very powerful caramelly malt character of the typical Scottish Ale.

Had a bottle last night, and yes it it absolutely not a 90/- anything. Very tasty, but completely misnamed. I also detect some hop flavor in this brew. I have to admit the name annoys me. Why not make a IPA and call it O'dufus' Brown Ale? How can you interpret a style by brewing a completely different style? Peyote? Just doesn't sit with me. I digress, hope your beer is great. :)

The all grain version turned out great and is in my top 10 for sure. I did have to let the yeast settle for a while, that kolsch yeast would not flocculate out. I have NOT brewed the extract version so I cant tell you if it will turn out the same. I use beersmith and took the original recipe and converted it to an extract version.

If you end up brewing this let us know how it turned out.

Whose all grain brew did you use?

Back