Irish Stout Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I would go for drier than 152º here. I went with about 154º, and it finished at 1.020. I'm sure the mash temp was far from the only factor, and it's the second highest finishing brew in my history, but it is supposed to be a dry stout after all. I imagine the flaked barley will help make up for any body lost to low mash temps, and it doesn't need any excess sweetness.

For what it's worth, I'm rebrewing this next and it's getting a 148º mash. But I'm far from an expert, so some salt may be required.

I have a habit of adding a degree to mash temps when I find a recipe as I typically find myself over attenuating... Mashed mine at 153 and for the first time in a while I actually UNDER attenuated. Hit 1.016, added more yeast with a starter, etc... four days later... 1.016. I would recommend 150-151 for this recipe instead of the 152 that's been going around. If you stop and think about it 152 really is a bit high for a dry stout like this. Next time I'll do 150 myself.
For what it's worth, I split my batch and did half English ale and half Irish ale yeast. There's really not a significant difference, but if I had to choose based on a sample from the primary, I'd pick the English which happens to be cheaper too as you can get it dry.

Nitro tends to make beers a bit sweeter so I think I'll just have to leave this on on CO2 when the time comes. Next time it'll be Nitro for sure though after I dial this one in a bit!

Thanks for the recipe!

Just locally sourced the ingredients for a 5G batch. Had to use 425 SRM Roasted Barley and Maris Otter. Hopefully the MO is close enough to Irish Stout Malt.

This is giving me an excuse to get a nitrogen tank and a stout faucet. Anyone know a good source for a cheap nitrogen regulator? - PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just locally sourced the ingredients for a 5G batch. Had to use 425 SRM Roasted Barley and Maris Otter. Hopefully the MO is close enough to Irish Stout Malt.

This is giving me an excuse to get a nitrogen tank and a stout faucet. Anyone know a good source for a cheap nitrogen regulator? - PM me.

Finally got an empty keg today and got my batch kegged up. It's been sitting in secondary for a while now. Couldn't resist the urge and pulled a warm sample. Biermuncher nailed it. This clone is spot on!

Yes I did. Couldn't resist.

I can see now where the canned/bottled, local draft versions get mixed reviews from the folks who have tasted an "authentic" recipe.

This recipe was much roastier than I would have expected. Very good though.

I'd imagine that changing the grains ratio from 65% Pale, 25% Flaked Barley and 10% Roasted Barley to 70%, 25%, 5% would tame down and mellow the flavor.

I happen to like this recipe and will likely brew it again. It came in a bit higher ABV% than I would have thought...around 5.2%. Turns out that my Bass & Co Ale is also ready to tap and I've been serving up authentic Black & Tans which are outstanding. I'm willing to bet that this combo tastes even better during the cold winter months.

View attachment 1875

View attachment 1876

Amen!

Ok, I've blown my brew budget this month, but I need to brew a quick stout. I'm doing this recipe, but need to use some on-hand yeast. I've got:
WLP013
Wyeast 1450
Nottingham
Safale 05
I also have some WLP802 Czech lager, but that's out of the question.
My vote goes to Nottingham or the 013, what do you think?

Grain to glass, not a word of a lie, exactly 2 weeks. And it's excellent. Bottled. It is properly carbed at 3 days in the bottle. I told my husband we have to drink all of it this weekend in case I messed up somehow priming it... Don't want bottle bombs... He took a sip, hid a smile, and obeyed SHMBO ;)

image.jpg

Ok, I've blown my brew budget this month, but I need to brew a quick stout. I'm doing this recipe, but need to use some on-hand yeast. I've got:
WLP013
Wyeast 1450
Nottingham
Safale 05
I also have some WLP802 Czech lager, but that's out of the question.
My vote goes to Nottingham or the 013, what do you think?

I'd go with the 013. I brewed a very similar recipe to this using WLP013 and a keg of it mysteriously emptied itself out 3 days into a family reunion.

I've also made it with US-05 and that was delicious as well.

Made a batch of this a few weeks ago and just kegged it yesterday. Sample was delicious and seemed spot on aside from seeming a bit light in color. Will see how it turns out carbed. Have it sitting on 12psi of co2 and will move it to nitro some time this weekend. (That pressure good for carbing this?)

Recipe:
5.5lb Marris Otter
2lb Falked Barley
1lb Roasted Barley
.12lb Acid Malt
3oz Kent Goldings 60 minutes (these were older but vac sealed and frozen)

lksfxHL.jpg

What temperature? If at 40 F, then it should only be about 4 psi to reach 1.6 vols of co2.

What temperature? If at 40 F, then it should only be about 4 psi to reach 1.6 vols of co2.

On your advice, i turned it down to 4 last night and moved it to nitro today. I started pouring at 10psi but theres no real head. I just read that it should be served around 28 psi. This is my first use of this nitro setup. Thanks for the advice!

On your advice, i turned it down to 4 last night and moved it to nitro today. I started pouring at 10psi but theres no real head. I just read that it should be served around 28 psi. This is my first use of this nitro setup. Thanks for the advice!

Let it sit a few more days on co2 at 10psi and swapped back to nitro @ 28psi and it still looks like the following. You can hear and audible squeel as it pours because of all of the pressure. What am I missing here?

L5pIrV7.jpg

Made 6 gallons yesterday, only forgot to scale down the acid malt. Should I be worried about 0.25 lbs acid malt in a 6 gallon batch? Cheers.

Bottled a slightly tweaked recipe a few days ago. The flat beer tasted wonderful. More flavor than Guinness Draught, not as heavy as Extra. Used WLP013 London Ale Yeast. This is a keeper!

Gave this recipe a shot... with a few tweaks, but screwed up a lot. It's our 4th time making beer and results have been good so far.

The recipe I ended up using:

2.6kg Pilsen Malt(Brazilian malt) 60.5%
1kg Flaked Barley(Briess) 23.3%
0.40kg Roasted Barley 9.3%
0.06kg Acidulated Malt 1.4%
0.24kg Cane Sugar 5.6%
47g East Kent Goldings @ 90min

Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.3%
Mash efficiency: 62.3%
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham(Dry)
Batch Size: 21.3l (5.63gal)
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: ?
IBU: 30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 34.19SRM

Main screweps were:

- Our miller kinda broke so we could only mill the grains at the tightest setting(disk mill), with that we got a stuck sparge many times and had to do a batch sparge(I think that's what it was) where we threw sparge water in, mixed it up, and collected the wort, did that 3 times. Efficiency was terrible.
- I couldn't properly control my mash temperature(was planning 75min at 65C and 45min at 67C, ended up heating it up too much when it first dropped to 64 and mashed higher than I wanted). Had to turn on the gas 3 times, first time ended at 68 and let it get below 65 again, second time same thing, third time it went up to a whoping 72 and I decided to mashout at 1h 30min instead of the planned 2 hours.
- 22.3 liters of 1.034 OG into the fermenter, which would end up at 3.6% abv, not good at all. Took 1.2l(0.32gal) of that wort and boiled it separately with 240g of Cane Sugar(table sugar) down to about 400ml(0.11gal). Ended up with a beersmith calculated 21.30l at 1.038 into the fermenter, that should ferment down to 4.2% abv which is what I wanted.

Do you guys think that will matter too much? I'm scared it will be too diluted or something, what should I expect?

Tweaks were based off of this article I found:

http://byo.com/stories/item/1426-stout-hearted-in-ireland

Has anyone tried force carbonating to 1.5 vols with CO2 and then pushing with nitrogen at 35 psi via a Beergun into ice cold frozen Belgian 750ml bottles and then corking them?

I'm aiming at some ideas to bottle this stuff as close to nitrogen tapped as possible. Thoughts on my insanity???

I brewed this and it was not where near as creamy as Guiness. Not sure what if anything I did wrong.

I used the recipe in the first post and halved it. I ended up with an OG of 1.04 and a FG of 1.012 using S-04 yeast.
I want to do this again, but would love it to be creamier. I did bottle it. It has a great nose, but is just mising something. Any tips? I am going to tweak it a little and see what I can come up with.

I brewed this and it was not where near as creamy as Guiness. Not sure what if anything I did wrong.

I used the recipe in the first post and halved it. I ended up with an OG of 1.04 and a FG of 1.012 using S-04 yeast.
I want to do this again, but would love it to be creamier. I did bottle it. It has a great nose, but is just mising something. Any tips? I am going to tweak it a little and see what I can come up with.

I believe a lot of the creaminess in Guinness comes from the use of Nitrogen, that might be what it's missing.

I believe a lot of the creaminess in Guinness comes from the use of Nitrogen, that might be what it's missing.

Most definitely! I have a nitro tap using 70/30 N2/CO2 and its night and day difference between 100% CO2 for stouts.

Most definitely! I have a nitro tap using 70/30 N2/CO2 and its night and day difference between 100% CO2 for stouts.

Just wanted to bump and say my clone has finally achieved the cascade. It has been sitting around 30psi on a 75/25 mix and now pours with a beautiful cascade and about an inch head on a 20oz Guinness glass. I think the problem was carbing with 100% co2 at 10 lbs and trying to just push it with the nitro mix. Ill try to get a quick vid tonight of a pour.

How long did you leave it on the 30psi before it was ready? and did you leave it set there to pour?

Its been like that for probably a month now. It pours out pretty quickly and even has a little squeel because of all of the pressure by my god is it good. Luckily I double ordered the recipe so I am about to make another batch which I am going to try to increase head retention a bit.

So you put 2.3 vols of CO2 into a stout. That is a tad bit high. But with that level of CO2 and a 75/25 nitrogen mix in a 40F keezer you should set your beer gas to 18 psi (30 is way too high for that mix).

Here is the McDantim calculator for this:

http://mcdantim.com/distributor-tools/calculators/

Yeah, i figured that. But if I remember correctly, I would not leave it on the gas for very long. I would pressurize it, wait till the hiss stopped, and then pull the line. It does not taste very carbonated at all. When I get home, ill check the actual pressures and even the mixture tag on the tank because I might be mistaken.

Thanks for the link! Will help me dial it in just right.

I apologize I screwed up using the calculator!!!

Most beer gas is 75% nitrogen and 25% carbon dioxide. I entered the opposite into the calculator. Rough morning....

Correctly entered you would need a dispensing pressure of 85 psi to dispense yours properly. Wow - that would be one hell of a pour.

Ideally stout faucets like 30-35 psi. Some like to run them higher. A better solution to your issue is to warm your beer back to room temp and adjust the CO2 content. To pour at 40F with 35 psi of beer gas you would want 1.14 volumes of CO2 in solution. That is 7psi at 70F (about room temperature).

Good keg gas calculator (pure CO2 carbonation):

http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

Here is a quick vid of a pour (sorry for vertical... you really don't realize you are doing it until afterwards lol):

http://youtu.be/vvAKlw5Fpw4

Great video-

If you don't have a carbonating keg lid buy one- it makes a world of difference. Make sure to leave the carbing stone on until the keg kicks.

Connect to beer gas- I usually start at about 35 psi and I will adjust as needed.

I normally dispense pressure between 25-35 psi- I tend to be closer to the high end. Give it a day or so, depending on how cold the beer is.

For quick turn-around set to 45 psi or so and dispense immediately- gradually adjust the pressure downward over time as the beer absorbs more gas.

here is the link to the carbing keg lid: http://www.morebeer.com/products/carbonating-keg-lid.html

The beer should not be absorbing gas when you are pushing with beer gas. It should already be at equilibrium for the beer gas you were applying to it based on temperature and volumes of carbon dioxide

In order to get my water PH right I'll be adding citric acid as my LHBS doesn't have lactic acid. Is that with the acid malt going to make this to sour.

Back