Oddness on stir plate with best of both worlds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burdbrew

Reaction score
I am using White's Best of Both Worlds for the first time. I used the same starter wort and yeast dated from the same day. The wort looks dramatically differently on the stir plate. One looks like egg drop soup, the other looks cloudy. I'm not worried about infection or anything crazy, I'm adequately relaxed and drinking a homebrew, but isn't that weird? Think it could be because of the hybrid nature of the yeast? My starters usually look like the version on the right.

Any thoughts?

Yeast.jpg

The one on the left looks exactly like my WLP002 starter the one time I used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't use 002 that much, so your observation is helpful. I do use Chico and1272 regularly, and they typically look like the plate on the right. It's hard for me to think the beers will turn out exactly the same. This could be interesting.

I wonder whether or not this yeast will create consistent product.

i've never used 1068/002 with another yeast, but have noted many times its amazing ability to go from looking like the one on the right to looking like the one on the left in a matter of minutes, and in the case of adding fresh fermentables, doing the same trick in reverse

Back