Oddball idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryB

Reaction score
I was looking at my fermenting fridge and wondering how I could get a third bucket in there... what we need is a square(rounded corners for easy clean) and squat fermenter that will sit on a standard fridge shelf with a low profile airlock system. Something shaped like that I could get 3-4 batches at once in my fridge and still have a shelf full of bottles carbonating!

You could probably use a low profile tote. I doubt the lid will seal tightly enough, so you don't even need an airlock. If it turns out to be too tight, drill a small hole in it and place a piece of Starsaned cloth on top. They also make low profile silicone "flap airlocks." Now those containers may deform easily when filled with liquid, so maybe place it on a piece of thin plywood to give it more stability.

Starsan really well before opening/removing the lid. Once removed, that large surface of beer is exposed to air, so keep that in mind in regards to oxidation.

Round containers are very uneconomical spacewise, the larger, the worse it gets. Rectangular shaped ones surely make better use of tight spaces.

I was looking at my fermenting fridge and wondering how I could get a third bucket in there... what we need is a square(rounded corners for easy clean) and squat fermenter that will sit on a standard fridge shelf with a low profile airlock system. Something shaped like that I could get 3-4 batches at once in my fridge and still have a shelf full of bottles carbonating!

I don't have an idea about the square fermenter.

But are you saying you are trying to carbonate bottles in the fridge?

If so get them out of there. They will take months, if they carbonate at all, at that temperature. 3 weeks at 70 degrees THEN chill them for drinking

These kind of things are fun to toy with.

I can see a stackable, rectangular stainless steel fermenter that has:

1) Sloped bottom - angled toward one end - think of a paint roller pan.

2) Horizontal thermo-well

3) 3" Tri-Clamp fitting on top for airlock and dry hopping (allows form minimal oxygen exposure during dry hop)

4) Handles on either end

5) Bubble level indicator on the lid and adjustable feet

6) Silicone gasket on lid

7) stainless steel latches to hold down lid

8) Would have to be 14" x 16" x 9" with the sloping bottom dropping 3" to have 7 gallons total capacity (5+ gallon batches)

9) Ball valve at 2" up the slope with racking arm for gravity samples and bottling/kegging

Probably a lot more trouble than it is worth, but you could probably manage three or four 5-gallon batches in a single fridge that way.

Ddzhgry.jpg

I have heaps of these, dont ask what came in them - ok, unused crystal type kitty litter - but they fit about 6litres/1.5 gallons, and would work fine.
You could fit a airlock diagonally near the top and stack as many as you want for fermentation.

I clean them and use them for storing grains.

If so get them out of there. They will take months, if they carbonate at all, at that temperature. 3 weeks at 70 degrees THEN chill them for drinking

Since the OP is also talking about fermentors in the fridge, I'm assuming she's using a refrigerator modified for use as a fermentation chamber.

These kind of things are fun to toy with.

I can see a stackable, rectangular stainless steel fermenter that has:

1) Sloped bottom - angled toward one end - think of a paint roller pan.

2) Horizontal thermo-well

3) 3" Tri-Clamp fitting on top for airlock and dry hopping (allows form minimal oxygen exposure during dry hop)

4) Handles on either end

5) Bubble level indicator on the lid and adjustable feet

6) Silicone gasket on lid

7) stainless steel latches to hold down lid

8) Would have to be 14" x 16" x 9" with the sloping bottom dropping 3" to have 7 gallons total capacity (5+ gallon batches)

9) Ball valve at 2" up the slope with racking arm for gravity samples and bottling/kegging

Probably a lot more trouble than it is worth, but you could probably manage three or four 5-gallon batches in a single fridge that way.

Space-wise, it would be great, the only issue I see is moving something like that full of liquid. Unless the lid attaches every tightly, shallow wide containers like that are very prone to sloshing, which also makes carrying it a lot more challenging. If you could get it into position in the chamber, then pump chilled wort into it, then rack from it directly into a keg to avoid having to move it full, that might work out better.

Space-wise, it would be great, the only issue I see is moving something like that full of liquid. Unless the lid attaches every tightly, shallow wide containers like that are very prone to sloshing, which also makes carrying it a lot more challenging. If you could get it into position in the chamber, then pump chilled wort into it, then rack from it directly into a keg to avoid having to move it full, that might work out better.

Clamped lid like the SS Brewtech stuff would be great getting it into position - but definitely moving after the trub settled would pose a challenge as you would put everything back into suspension. Ball valve would have to be positioned pointing out so you could rack in place

Something like this might work. Didn't calculate the volume. Holds almost 25 pounds of bread flour. Approximate dimensions are 11 3/4 H × 9 3/4 W × 12 D. Might not be a positive seal. Just plastic to plastic. Formerly held chocolate frosting.

Might need to reinforce frig shelves to hold a few of these securely.

edit: approximately 5.9 gallons.

Bucket.jpg

Something like this might work. Didn't calculate the volume. Holds almost 25 pounds of bread flour. Approximate dimensions are 11 3/4 H × 9 3/4 W × 12 D. Might not be a positive seal. Just plastic to plastic. Formerly held chocolate frosting.

Might need to reinforce frig shelves to hold a few of these securely.

edit: approximately 5.9 gallons.

I could totally see myself sitting down and spooning 5.9 gallons of chocolate frosting into my mouth

Since the OP is also talking about fermentors in the fridge, I'm assuming she's using a refrigerator modified for use as a fermentation chamber.

I realize that but fermentation should be done in the mid sixties. At that temperature bottle conditioning will take a very long time..... If they carbonate at all.

Fermenting fridge! AKA 65 degrees most of the time!

I could see something 24" wide, 18 inches deep and 4 inches tall... that would be a tad over 7 gallons.

And I have had no issues bottle conditioning at 65f, the yeast is happy to ferment at that temp to start so why push it higher(unless I have to much bottled, then it goes to my pantry at 70-80 degrees...)

And closer to what I was thinking! http://www.bigtray.com/vollrath-steam-table-pan-30062-sku-vol30062-c-19750.html add a lid with gasket and some clamps, a low profile airlock, and a spigot on one end. I may have to order one and do some experimenting! I ran across and article where fermentation was faster in a shallow container versus tall conical. At 6" tall I could easily get 4 in my fermenting fridge! Only downside is no room for krausen but how tall will it be spread out flat... only 21 quarts.

and better yet, about 7 gallon capacity 20.75"x12.75"x8" deep http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vol...-8-deep-full-size-transport-pan/92230088.html they do make lid gaskets so all I need is some form of clamp(maybe simple binder clips?) to hold it down.

And closer to what I was thinking! http://www.bigtray.com/vollrath-steam-table-pan-30062-sku-vol30062-c-19750.html add a lid with gasket and some clamps, a low profile airlock, and a spigot on one end. I may have to order one and do some experimenting! I ran across and article where fermentation was faster in a shallow container versus tall conical. At 6" tall I could easily get 4 in my fermenting fridge! Only downside is no room for krausen but how tall will it be spread out flat... only 21 quarts.

and better yet, about 7 gallon capacity 20.75"x12.75"x8" deep http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vol...-8-deep-full-size-transport-pan/92230088.html they do make lid gaskets so all I need is some form of clamp(maybe simple binder clips?) to hold it down.

Wow, $40 or $70 a piece, that's without the lid! They last forever, though. Now the lids are typically recessed, not flat or dome shaped and may not close tightly enough to keep the content sanitary.

I was thinking about hotel pans, but I've never seen 5 or 7 gallon ones. Transporting full ones will be a real challenge. Sloshing was mentioned before.

I realize that but fermentation should be done in the mid sixties. At that temperature bottle conditioning will take a very long time..... If they carbonate at all.

Never had a problem! 14 days at 65F! Phat Tyre Amber kit from NB!

IMG_20160617_0315562001_zpsbcsb7eai.jpg

I guess fermentation temperature is warm enough. I have never tried bottle conditioning at that temp. I have fermented a batch too warm and it fermented in 2 days whereas if I ferment cooler it usually takes 3 to 5 days. So I would expect the same in bottle conditioning.

Even at 70 degrees I have had some batches bottle condition in 2 weeks and others that took at least 3. The longer ones were high ABV dark beers.

This could have used a little more time to clear in the bottles but I don't mind haze. I brewed it to drink, not exhibit! Phat Tyre is one that I always have in the brew rotation. Not quite a lawnmower beer but still tasty on a hot day.

I do need to make 10 gallons of lawnmower beer next, hotter weather is kicking in and I want something just a bit lower alcohol for those days you suck a glass down in 2 minutes!

Back