Odd taste. Not bad, just unexpected.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leightonp

Reaction score
I've been brewing for over a year now. My third brew in May 2015 was a huge monster of a stout. I didn't make a starter and only fermented a month before bottling. I've been opening the beers a few at a time and making notes of the changes every couple months. It was almost undrinkable for a long time and then got better. It's been good the last few months. But now 14 months after brewing it's taken a new taste. At first it's sweet and then the hops hit with some bitterness. Then a weird taste of bubblegum hits your taste buds. I've never experienced this. Can it be replicated, or is it an off flavor that worked out in the end?

What yeast did you use and how did you control the fermentation temp? Several yeasts are known to produce that flavor and many more will produce it if they ferment too high. Ferm temps on high gravity brews can be hard to control. Chances are it was always there but the strong flavors of a high gravity stout masked it. Now that it has aged and mellowed a bit, the bubblegum is becoming noticeable. It may fade with more aging but maybe not. If it's not objectionable, go ahead and drink some and let some sit longer to see how it ages.

What yeast did you use and how did you control the fermentation temp? Several yeasts are known to produce that flavor and many more will produce it if they ferment too high. Ferm temps on high gravity brews can be hard to control. Chances are it was always there but the strong flavors of a high gravity stout masked it. Now that it has aged and mellowed a bit, the bubblegum is becoming noticeable. It may fade with more aging but maybe not. If it's not objectionable, go ahead and drink some and let some sit longer to see how it ages.

This 100%

Big brews with no fermentation control = bubble gum and even possibly fusel (harsh) alcohols.

Back