Odd surface scum, look at my fermentation please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
I've never seen this kind of surface scum but I've also never used wl 002 before either. Maybe my starter got infected? the liquid I decanted off the starter tasted fine. This was my first starter, I mixed it up, sat it on the stirplate for a few days and refrigerated it for a week before using. The starter wort was actually excess wort (hopped) from a EIPA which I diluted a bit with water.
It's been this way for a week at least. about 2 weeks since pitch, constant 65˚ temp. It's a (bigger) bitter, brewed April 5 at 1.072, I have not checked the gravity yet.
I've never had an infection in the 18 years of brewing.....
rdwhahb I guess...?
IMG_11552.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_11562.jpg

Looks normal to me. Looks like yest flocculating and has just not fallen out yet because it is probably flled with co2 and is remaining boyant, the foam is probably the last remnants of fermantation and degassing.

I get 'scum' like that sometimes and it dosent change a thing.

My beer looked exactly like that about 1 week ago(2 weeks into brewing) and has since settled completely out. Looks like just yeast that got caught on CO2 bubbles.

ok cool. I mostly use US05 and Nottingham, I've seen some weird stuff before but this was the first time to see lumpy scum like that, maybe I'll agitate it a bit.

Ha ha you know I did not want to post a whats wrong with this beer thread but it just looked different than all my other batches, which are probably 50 or more.
I will rdwhahb and rack it later

That's exactly how my red looked the other day when I went to bottle it. It was within .003 of where I wanted it so I just went ahead and bottled, hopefully it wasn't too soon.

Back