Odd starter activity Wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komocabo

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I've made plenty of starters, but this is the first time I've used Wyeast 1968 (London ESB).

I made the starter with 2L RO water, 200g Light DME, added 1/2tsp yeast nutrient, and probably 8 drops overall of Fermcap AT.

MADE the starter on Wednesday night. Yeasterday (Thursday) I noticed that nothing was moving cuz the stirbar got kicked off center. Oops. So I just turned it back on. When I did that, there was a huge gush of CO2 (odd). Didn't lose much, and it settled back down in seconds.

Move forward to today: this is what it looks like... Huge flaked of yeast swirling around the bottom... Apparently I can't attach the video I took from my phone...

Should I just toss it and get new yeast? Is this healthy activity for this strain? I use a LOT of 1056 and have never seen this before.

Thanks!

Good Morning,

I've made plenty of starters, but this is the first time I've used Wyeast 1968 (London ESB).

I made the starter with 2L RO water, 200g Light DME, added 1/2tsp yeast nutrient, and probably 8 drops overall of Fermcap AT.

MADE the starter on Wednesday night. Yeasterday (Thursday) I noticed that nothing was moving cuz the stirbar got kicked off center. Oops. So I just turned it back on. When I did that, there was a huge gush of CO2 (odd). Didn't lose much, and it settled back down in seconds.

Move forward to today: this is what it looks like... Huge flaked of yeast swirling around the bottom... Apparently I can't attach the video I took from my phone...

Should I just toss it and get new yeast? Is this healthy activity for this strain? I use a LOT of 1056 and have never seen this before.

Thanks!

I've often observed the "gush of CO2" and foaming when a starter is left unstirred, so that seems normal to me. Although I have never used Wyeast 1968, it is said to be very flocculant. You are probably just observing yeast flocs. Seems like you're good to go.

Oh yeah! Super flocculation powers activated. I love the way it turns to egg drop soup when it's done. That's completely normal!

Yup, ESB 1968 is one mother flocker. My house strain for years was ESB 1968, and what you are seeing is normal.

Whew! Well, I'm glad I checked cuz I was about to toss it. Instead I put it in the fridge to cold crash. Gonna step it up again tonight for Sunday brew. Excellent news folks!

Egg flower soup is a PERFECT explanation.

Latest posts

Back