Odd Side Ales Citra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanThomas

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm hoping that a few on here have had the Odd Side Ales Citra Pale Ale. I've only found it in 2 locations: At Odd Side Ales in Grand Haven, and at the Winchester in Grand Rapids. It's impossible to have this at home to enjoy. If anyone out there has had this and has a recipe that is even CLOSE to this, please help me out!

I've e-mailed the brewery and haven't received a response yet. Who knows.

Thanks!

Can't help with the recipe but Seven Monks in TC has it on tap as of last weekend. Had a pint, good stuff.

Can't help with the recipe but Seven Monks in TC has it on tap as of last weekend. Had a pint, good stuff.

Man, I made it to Jolly Pumpkin up there this year and forgot to check out seven monks!

I am going to have to just wing it. That beer is awesome.

I e-mailed the brewer just recently about this beer- Hoping to hear back.. I'm just looking for the malt bill, or maybe just a list of what malts they used and can figure out percentages on my own, and hopping schedule.

I e-mailed the brewer just recently about this beer- Hoping to hear back.. I'm just looking for the malt bill, or maybe just a list of what malts they used and can figure out percentages on my own, and hopping schedule.

I never got a response. I'm guessing it's not going to happen.

I never got a response. I'm guessing it's not going to happen.

I did, from the head brewer... Very enigmatic, but I expected that, and was grateful for ALL the info he gave me. Very nice guy, top notch brewery and brewer IMO. I can't fault a brewery for giving away their secrets.

I got enough to play with, I'll toss a recipe together and share soon.

I did, from the head brewer... Very enigmatic, but I expected that, and was grateful for ALL the info he gave me. Very nice guy, top notch brewery and brewer IMO. I can't fault a brewery for giving away their secrets.

Wow, that's crazy that they responded. My e-mail must have been completely ignored. Woudl you mind posting the response you received here?

Cheers

Mine definitely turned out great, but not a clone. I would be confident to share my recipe, as it is awesome, but it would be out of place in this thread. :mug:

Mine definitely turned out great, but not a clone. I would be confident to share my recipe, as it is awesome, but it would be out of place in this thread. :mug:

5179A669-8DDB-48E1-A937-54059FCF16CC-2261-000003D7790963AD.jpg

Looks pretty close. I've done nothing to clear it, and it's still got dry hops in the keg, after 6 days on the gas.

Had another one on tap last night at the Green Well in Grand Rapids. Super clear. Maybe they use gelatin to clear it up, because I don't see how it could get that clear with wheat otherwise.

By the way, that looks like a fantastic brew. I'll crack one tonight and take a similar picture.

I love living 500 ft from the winchester and 1/3 mile.from.the green well (plus all the breweries) .. i get odd sides best brew almost anytime i want .. like last night! I will see if i can get some info when i go to the brewery next week

I love living 500 ft from the winchester and 1/3 mile.from.the green well (plus all the breweries) .. i get odd sides best brew almost anytime i want .. like last night! I will see if i can get some info when i go to the brewery next week

I ALSO live about 500 ft from the Winchester, but they were out when I went there on Thursday. (James St, BTW)

I was going to order a Rochefort 8 at the Green Well, but when I saw they had Citra, game over.

Yea i had it at green well before i went to harmoney

Im on charles south side wealthy.. always lookin to hang out and meet fellow brewers!.. idk abiut u but its hard to meet people of same (for lack of a better word) skill level? I mean i know ALOT of brewers but there 5-15 gallons a year.. not enough time or whate er reason.. i had 63 gallons this year and it was a slow ear for me (bought my house and moved) so all the ones i know im constantly answering questions and what not.. and all the other people i know rdy have a brewing partner.. so most time i fly solo :( lol

My in-laws have a condo in Ferrysburg mere minutes from Odd Sides downtown GH. Great place to have a brew and shoot some darts. Need to get back there soon...

Yea i had it at green well before i went to harmoney

Im on charles south side wealthy.. always lookin to hang out and meet fellow brewers!.. idk abiut u but its hard to meet people of same (for lack of a better word) skill level? I mean i know ALOT of brewers but there 5-15 gallons a year.. not enough time or whate er reason.. i had 63 gallons this year and it was a slow ear for me (bought my house and moved) so all the ones i know im constantly answering questions and what not.. and all the other people i know rdy have a brewing partner.. so most time i fly solo :( lol

Wish I would have found you on here sooner (I'm moving to Cincinnati in January :mad:). We brew over on James in our driveway. My friend and I and my girlfriend started this summer and we've brewed 11 batches.

Yea i brew on my front porch and get all sorts of looks pretty funny.. i got hops comin tomar so imma try to squeeze in 2 or 3 more batches in before end of year

Had another one on tap last night at the Green Well in Grand Rapids. Super clear. Maybe they use gelatin to clear it up, because I don't see how it could get that clear with wheat otherwise.

By the way, that looks like a fantastic brew. I'll crack one tonight and take a similar picture.

I've noticed the pull tonight was much clearer. I've also still got dry hops in the keg, that doesn't help. I actually LIKE the haze, but...

This should clear really well though, but I would assume some haze in there because of the wheat as well.

Anyone local, take a pic of a fresh pint with your phone one night, and post here.

I've noticed the pull tonight was much clearer. I've also still got dry hops in the keg, that doesn't help. I actually LIKE the haze, but...

This should clear really well though, but I would assume some haze in there because of the wheat as well.

Anyone local, take a pic of a fresh pint with your phone one night, and post here.

Should have taken one last night :mad:

Didn't even think of it.

Grab a clear photo of it in good light if possible. I want to verify the color and clarity. Although I think I have the color down pat, the clarity I'm curious about.

I think I have it down, other than I think I want more late additions, and maybe a wee bit more dry hop just to take it over the edge. I think what I have is so damn close, I almost feel like I'm the only one blessed enough this south to have it!

Grab a clear photo of it in good light if possible. I want to verify the color and clarity. Although I think I have the color down pat, the clarity I'm curious about.

I think I have it down, other than I think I want more late additions, and maybe a wee bit more dry hop just to take it over the edge. I think what I have is so damn close, I almost feel like I'm the only one blessed enough this south to have it!

Up here drinking one now.. its to dark for a pic.. but its a tad clearing than ur brew.. not much though.. as for color i think you maybe .5 -.75srm to dark its a little lighter in the pint i can tell that.

Up here drinking one now.. its to dark for a pic.. but its a tad clearing than ur brew.. not much though.. as for color i think you maybe .5 -.75srm to dark its a little lighter in the pint i can tell that.

Hrmmmm... Thanks bud!!

I think the color is so, so super close. Might drop back a bit of my darker crystal and see next time, but nice to know it's really close.

Mine will clear when I pull the hops and let it sit. It's been a week on the gas, and with the hops in the keg still, so I'm looking forward to see'n the results!

Appreciate the info bud. Enjoy that beer!

Thanks. Im tryin too but drank a few bipa's with dinner and didnt clense the pallet so all i can taste is malt.. i cant even smell the citra right now.. kinda upset..lol i wouldnt worry to much on color and clariety.. taste and nose is where its at!

Here we go ladies...

Oddsides Citra Pale- 1 week in the keg, still with dry hops.

39BC00A4-E231-4A36-8C8B-E5A79F71302C-3235-00000591ACD1CC3D.jpg

B3967653-15AA-4E36-BC98-59A8603F0A43-3235-000005919BEC45D3.jpg

It's clearing nicely. Taking photos makes it murkier than it really is. It's a clean beer, with a slight haze. You can see the logo on the glass on the backside.

Now share ur recipe..lol

Just moved to the area and found out about this place, cant wait to get down there grab a few! They have a interesting selection bill right now

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/citra-pale-ale-oddsides-clone-375338/

Recipe for what I used. I think it's really close. I will tinker with it next time I brew. It's close to what I remember it being. Regardless it's good, but with the help of the owner/brewer, this is what I came up with reverse engineering it.

I'd love to make their Pineapple IPA. They have the best line up of solid beers I think!

Here we go ladies...

Oddsides Citra Pale- 1 week in the keg, still with dry hops.

39BC00A4-E231-4A36-8C8B-E5A79F71302C-3235-00000591ACD1CC3D.jpg

B3967653-15AA-4E36-BC98-59A8603F0A43-3235-000005919BEC45D3.jpg

It's clearing nicely. Taking photos makes it murkier than it really is. It's a clean beer, with a slight haze. You can see the logo on the glass on the backside.

Double like-thumbs up goodness.

Dont know if anyones heard but Odd Side will start bottling and be releasing thier first bottles this summer!

Did they buy/rent more of that building or going off site? Cuz last time i was there it was pretty tight and they were installing plumbin outside the bar along the window..thought i heard another brite tank was going there but that was like 2 summers ago.. lol live down the road and never go..

Latest posts

Back