Odd Sanke tri-clamp size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathanologist

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 1/4 bbl (30L/7.75g) stubby keg. It looks to have had wine in it... no spear just a threaded port. Came with a red silicone barrel bung. I want to use it as a fermenter by converting it to ball-lock corny keg fittings. I've seen this using a cap and tri-clover adaptor. However, most of these adaptors show an outer diameter measurement of 2" and the flange on the port on this keg measures 2 11/16" to the outer flange. the inner measurement is 2-inches. Do I have an odd sized keg? or am i misunderstanding the points of measurement?

thumbnail1.jpgthumbnail2.jpgthumbnail3.jpg

It was never designed as a tri-clamp port. It’s not even a US standard sankey. It is one of the several European style kegs with the guts removed. I don’t know what style VanHonsebrouck uses but if you check places like beverage factory here you might find what used to connect to it.

It was never designed as a tri-clamp port. It’s not even a US standard sankey. It is one of the several European style kegs with the guts removed. I don’t know what style VanHonsebrouck uses but if you check places like beverage factory here you might find what used to connect to it.
I appreciate the info, thank you. Yes, I know it not designed as tri-clover. Just trying to repurpose it. My plan B is to drill ports though the bung for airlock, racking cane and thermowell. I won't be able to do pressure fermentation or even closed transfer though... but it is what it is.

Just offering a couple possibilities: TC's will not fit, and that includes this brilliant device by Norcal:
https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Sanke-Keg-Cross-Fermenter-Kit.htmlBUT: Norcal does do custom work, you could send them pics and measurements and see if they can thow something together for you.
A possible alternative: If you can drill a 13/16" hole in your bung and force a 1/2" NPT nipple trhough it and attach something like this:
IMG_1406.jpeg

It's my 'Fermhead" that I can attach to many different vessels. Pretty easy to throw together and it works on my sankeys and fermonsters. If the nipple can stay tight in the bung and you put a washer on top around the nipple, you may be able to turn the Fermhead to tighten the bung in the neck and keep a fair amount of pressure, or you could rig some other kind of clamping... I used to use mechanical wire to 'basket' stoppers to the tops of my glass carboys:
basketwire.jpg

I have recently acquired a 1/4 bbl (30L/7.75g) stubby keg. It looks to have had wine in it... no spear just a threaded port. Came with a red silicone barrel bung. I want to use it as a fermenter by converting it to ball-lock corny keg fittings. I've seen this using a cap and tri-clover adaptor. However, most of these adaptors show an outer diameter measurement of 2" and the flange on the port on this keg measures 2 11/16" to the outer flange. the inner measurement is 2-inches. Do I have an odd sized keg? or am i misunderstanding the points of measurement?

View attachment 809229View attachment 809230View attachment 809231

You are misunderstanding how TC flanges are measured. A 2" TC flange measures 2.5" across. While none of the Sanke necks were ever designed with any regard to TC flange sizes, a 2" clamp will usually make it on enough for the wingnut to catch and for a reasonable seal to be made with a HALF TC gasket in place. The top end of that flange actually looks like the edge has a raised lip. It seems like that could accommodate the use of an oring (as long as it's a little taller than the lip). If not, you could grind it flat to be able to use the flat half TC gasket.

You are misunderstanding how TC flanges are measured. A 2" TC flange measures 2.5" across. While none of the Sanke necks were ever designed with any regard to TC flange sizes, a 2" clamp will usually make it on enough for the wingnut to catch and for a reasonable seal to be made with a HALF TC gasket in place. The top end of that flange actually looks like the edge has a raised lip. It seems like that could accommodate the use of an oring (as long as it's a little taller than the lip). If not, you could grind it flat to be able to use the flat half TC gasket.
Thank you! This is what I was hoping to confirm. Also got a message from my LHS with a measurement of the adaptor. Looks like I can make it happen. Appreciate all the replies.

Back