odd looking fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
soo.. i have made quite a few brews. But never had anyone turn out looking like the photo. sorry for bad quality its a quite dark cardboy

To me it looks infected. which is weird considering how damn well i sanitize my gear.

First i had it fermenting for 3 weeks. (racked it for 4 weeks, went offshore for that time) and when i came home today it looked like the photo. It dose not smell wrong to me, and i will rack it tomorrow and see if it is ruined.

this is an ipa using safal us-5 yeast.

2015-04-29 20.57.52.jpg

The picture is too poor to see what is going on. It just looks like bubbles to me.

yeah sorry about that. its hard getting a pictrue trough that cardboy. since its a dark brown color to it. but to try explain. there are a few bubbles that look slight white ish and gunk floating in it. it dosnt smell wrong tho.

I would think if after 7 weeks, there are just a few white bubbles floating around, you're ok. When it's happened to me, it's a hostile takeover. Give it a taste, should tell you.

That may be the beginning of a pellicle but like the above guy said, its too hard to tell from the pic. Try taking another one

Whats withthe bubbles? is there any white film (pellicle)

yeah sorry about that. its hard getting a pictrue trough that cardboy. since its a dark brown color to it. but to try explain. there are a few bubbles that look slight white ish and gunk floating in it. it dosnt smell wrong tho.

You are likely fine. Its probably just co2 bubbling off and being caught in hop oils/trub/yeasty bits, whatever. Cold crash it and keg it up.

You are likely fine. Its probably just co2 bubbling off and being caught in hop oils/trub/yeasty bits, whatever. Cold crash it and keg it up.

I will try that tomorrow. im fed up botteling... so need to get me a keg. but ill give it a taste.

That may be the beginning of a pellicle but like the above guy said, its too hard to tell from the pic. Try taking another one

I think you where right.

It taste soo wonderfull even whitout carbonation nor beeing cold. This im gonna get ****ed up by in the summer :)

Back