odd CO2. gushing head, flat cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncowling

Reaction score
I just went to check my bottled cider for carbonation level to see if it was time to pasteurize. It has been in the bottles for 3 days (previously I found 4-5 days was on the high end of carbonation levels).

The bottle I opened (12 oz) had a quick gush of foam, but then upon tasting the cider itself, it was flat. Previously when bottles have done that, the cider itself has been bubbling/dancing with CO2 bubbles.

Ideas, suggestions?

BTW, the cider is 2 gallons UV pasteurized cider from a farmer's market, one pack of Windsor dry yeast, pectin enzymes, and yeast nutrients, with 4 oz of thawed apple juice concentrate added for priming during bottling.

I just went to check my bottled cider for carbonation level to see if it was time to pasteurize. It has been in the bottles for 3 days (previously I found 4-5 days was on the high end of carbonation levels).

The bottle I opened (12 oz) had a quick gush of foam, but then upon tasting the cider itself, it was flat. Previously when bottles have done that, the cider itself has been bubbling/dancing with CO2 bubbles.

Ideas, suggestions?

BTW, the cider is 2 gallons UV pasteurized cider from a farmer's market, one pack of Windsor dry yeast, pectin enzymes, and yeast nutrients, with 4 oz of thawed apple juice concentrate added for priming during bottling.

Sometimes a room temperature check for carbonation is not a acurate representation of what the level is. You can have allot of CO2 pressure built up, but its not entirely desolved in the liquid at room temperature.

Room temperature liquids do not hold very much of the presurized CO2 as cold ones do. Chilling one down in the fridge overnight and then testing will produce a better result.

I had a couple from one batch fiz over on me but it had just been chilled down to drink and was only cold for a hour or so. The Co2 hadn't re-desolved in the liquid.

Kinda like opening a warm bottle of soda.

Back