Odd chain of events

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
So I'm totally fresh at brewing. The focus of this post is my 4th and most recent recipe. A simcoe double ipa, 1.5 L starter made with white labs wlp001, and pitched at 68. Due to the high gravity (1.079) along with the yeast starter I decided to ferment at 60-65.
Here's where **** gets weird. After 3 days of intense fermentation I replaced the blow off tube with an airlock. After another day of healthy yeast action, the airlock did nothing. So I decided to raise the temp a bit. For another day it was at 68-70 degrees. Still nothing. So, I took a hydrometer reading. It was at 1.040 (FG should be 1.017)
Once I put the carboy back in its little nest, the airlock started going ape****. I figured it was just from me moving it around a bit, but a day later, and it's still going to town.
What the hell happened? What did I do right? (Or wrong?) I figured after a day, activity exclusively from agitating the yeast would cease. I guess my question is, what happened to create activity again? Was it fermenting all along? (ik the airlock isn't a true indicator of fermentation.) or did I do something to get it going again?
As always, thanks, and cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

temp increase plus moving it got the yeast back to work.

I went a full 24 hrs at 70 degrees, it took that long to show signs? Should I agitate it more often to help fermentation move along?

Green mountain high!

I went a full 24 hrs at 70 degrees, it took that long to show signs? Should I agitate it more often to help fermentation move along?

Green mountain high!

it can. you shouldn't have to agitate it in most cases if you pitched a healthy amount of yeast and are fermenting in the proper range.

Latest posts

Back