Odd Behaviour From My Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out why my termination seems to be acting odd.
On 09/23 I added 2 camped tablets to 5 gallons of fresh pressed apple cider. I waited 32 hrs and then added 1 lb of brown sugar, pitched a champagne yeast and yeast nutrient. My cider's OG read 1.068. I saw the cider moving about in the carboy but no Co2 action but I wasn't concern. 2 weeks later I noticed some C02 action in the airlock. I let it go for another 10 days and as of today there is still Co2 action in the airlock. I took an SG reading just to see and my current SG is 1.041:confused:
The temperature has been a steady 68 degrees and overall it tastes like sweet somewhat fizzy cider. I'm planning just to ride it out and see what happens but was wondering if anyone had any ideas why it's going so slow.

Cheers!

Sounds like it's fermenting, just slowly. Did you crush & dissolve the campden tabs before adding them? Did you aerate (stir vigorously) before adding the yeast? Did you use dry yeast? If so, did you rehydrate as per instructions? What brand/strain of yeast did you use? Are you certain there are no preservatives in your juice?
Regards, GF.

Funny, 'cuz I just made the same comment in another cider thread, for a different reason:

I find my ciders ferment much more slowly (even when using the same ale yeast) than my beers. Instead of that 72 hour yeast "rowdy house party" that starts each beer ferment, my ciders brew slow and steady for at least 30 days before they hit FG. As you mentioned, you'll see movement in the cider, and (you may have to look pretty close) a very mellow "soda pop" effervescence.

So, from where I'm sitting, a 25 point drop in 10 days sounds about right. Let it ride.

Patience. Fermentation is still going strong and will for many more weeks. It should ferment all the way below 1.000 with enough time. Yeast doesn't hurry up just because humans are impatient. It takes its own sweet time.

It sounds as though all is well with your cider, so I would not fret.As I have mentioned before,"Ciders take as long as they take", no two batches will ferment at exactly the same rate.

Back