October fest beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman52

Reaction score
I am looking for a good extract October fest beer kit.There are quiet a few out there, has anyone tried them if so what did you think of the kit the taste .Suggestions on kits?

Thanks

Seeing as you are getting no responses have you thought about rolling your own? Can you lager?

3.3lbs Bries Pilsner LME
3.3lbs Bries Munich LME
A lager yeast like saflager S-23 or 34/7
... some sugar if you want to dry it out a wee bit.
Saaz or other noble hops. You really won't need much.

Guess it depends what you are looking for but if I was in your shoes I'd be starting right there. I kind of did this a week or two coming up with a recipe for a Rye Lager.

I am looking for a good extract October fest beer kit.There are quiet a few out there, has anyone tried them if so what did you think of the kit the taste .Suggestions on kits?

Thanks

I don't have a kit to reccomend, but I do have some reccomendations. :) my very first brew was an Oktoberfest 1gallon. It came with Munich ale yeast and steeping grains. It did not taste like an Oktoberfest more like a dark Leffe blonde lots of clove. If you cannot lager or at least keep the fermatation temps low (swamp cooler) you may not have a beer that tastes like the style you want. I did drink and enjoy my first brew, I just knew it wasn't "right". This year I am able to lager an Oktoberfest, and the party is the end of October. the sample I tasted was good.

Look up October fast. It's a ale ferments mid to upper 60s. I just racked to secondary .Gravity reading was 1.012. Taste great.

Yeah, I'd say the big question is whether or not you have the ability to control your fermentation temperature (and to lager). If not, you'll have to make a "faux" octoberfest using an ale yeast.

If that's the case (and if you're doing kits, I'm imagining that it is. Nothing wrong with that, just assuming so for the moment because many of us move away from kits well before we have the ability to lager), I'd see if you can find a kit that you like the sound of, and replace the lager yeast with a kölsch yeast, which will still give you a very clean profile similar to a lager, but won't require as fastidious control over your temperature.

Sorry Iceman, don't know why I didn't see your post until today.
Pretty good recommendations above, but since you specifically asked for kits, I have 2 that I've done in the past with success.
1. My very 1st brew was the 'Truebrew Oktoberfest'. It's an extract plus steeping grains and uses Muntons ale yeast. Turned out surprisingly well. I did it a couple more times until I moved up to PM kits and eventually AG.
2. My next venture into Oktoberfest kits was the Northern Brewer Oktoberfest. This one is absolutely great. I used 34/70 dry yeast once and Bavarian lager yeast the 2nd time, but you have the option of picking yeasts. If you don't have the capability to ferment at lager temps(low 50s) but can do low 60s, then I would suggest the California lager yeast. I did a German Pilsner with that yeast back in June and it turned out wonderful.

I have an old frig and I made a temp. control for and will use that. I been looking at the kits from Northern brewer and Midwest. You catch it with a 15-20% off not to bad a price. I really like to find the taste I had when I went to the Octoberfest in Germany years ago.
Thanks all for the info.

I have an old frig and I made a temp. control for and will use that. I been looking at the kits from Northern brewer and Midwest. You catch it with a 15-20% off not to bad a price. I really like to find the taste I had when I went to the Octoberfest in Germany years ago.
Thanks all for the info.

Well now hold on just a minute...there is a difference between the beer they serve at Oktoberfest and the beer we call Oktoberfest in the USA. Beers sold as Oktoberfest here in the states are generally a style called Märzen, an amber-colored lager. The beer that is served at Oktoberfest the event is a style called Helles, a pale lager. While you'd no doubt get a fine beer either way, if your goal is to "find the taste [you] had when [you] went to the Octoberfest in Germany," you want to brew a Helles, NOT an Oktoberfest/Märzen.

Jordan is correct. There have been quite a few threads over the past couple of years questioning why our 'American Oktoberfest' is reddish, malty and usually with an ABV around 6ish while the current version of 'German Oktoberfest' is yellow, less malty, and with an ABV around 5ish. Of course the german version is easier drinking and you can put larger quantities away (ie. they can sell more!), but I've read some posts that indicate that our version may be more like what it was originally. Personally, when I make mine, I'm shooting to match Sam Adams Oktoberfest which I absolutely love (should be coming out pretty soon!)

Jordan is correct. There have been quite a few threads over the past couple of years questioning why our 'American Oktoberfest' is reddish, malty and usually with an ABV around 6ish while the current version of 'German Oktoberfest' is yellow, less malty, and with an ABV around 5ish. Of course the german version is easier drinking and you can put larger quantities away (ie. they can sell more!), but I've read some posts that indicate that our version may be more like what it was originally. Personally, when I make mine, I'm shooting to match Sam Adams Oktoberfest which I absolutely love (should be coming out pretty soon!)

It is one thing they still do right.

Oh my, it's been almost 40 years since I been to Germany at Uncle Sam's request. But then I kind of remember the beer was a brownish color. But then again I might of had a few too many. I think I will make both and then make up my mind.Cheers to all.
Captn Jack....

Latest posts

Back