obsession

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akimbo78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i'm obsessed with brewing beer. i've done 3 batches in 3 weeks. 1 of them is bottled. they have all been extract kits with steeping grains, and i am fine with that. i am now obsessed with obtaining a kegerator. swmbo is glad that i'm spending more time at home, but she is tired of hearing about it. its all i think about and talk about. will this ever fade? i don't have the money right now for a kegerator, plus she's been begging me to finish the basement and frame our wedding pictures for years. she loves the beers i'm making, will test them, and is supportive, just not on my obsession level. i have been looking at used bar equipment auctions and everything hoping to find a diamond in the rough. a man can dream, can't he?

I'm in the same boat. Brewed my first batch two weeks ago and it's hard not to brew 5 gals every week. But we purchased a home this summer and the remodel work has slowly been replaced with beer brewing/planning so I'm starting to get flak from SWMBO.

I still haven't told her I'm building a ferment-chamber in the garage........

Hopefully the excitement will come down after I have my first homebrew :)

I remember when getting a kegulator would be hard...now I have 4 full sized refrigerators in the basement just for storing carboys lol brewing has to be the number 1 most addictive hobby!

I have shopped at keystone but now I tend to buy from Wine and Beer Makers Outlet in Coopersburg. It is closer to my house even though he doesn't have as big of a selection as Keystone.

And no I'm not a member of the club, currently not a member of any homebrew club.

After a couple of years you will still be obsessed. There is a slight chance that by then you will be able to have complete conversations that do not in some way contain a reference to brewing.

My Suggestion: Keep the wifey happy....e.g. finish the basement and frame the pictures. She will be much more supportive of your new-found obsession and might help you in ways you don't yet realize (asking coworkers for leads, looking at local classified ads/garage sales, hell even starting a little kegerator fund).

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Trust me on this one.

TriggerFingers said:
My Suggestion: Keep the wifey happy....e.g. finish the basement and frame the pictures. She will be much more supportive of your new-found obsession and might help you in ways you don't yet realize (asking coworkers for leads, looking at local classified ads/garage sales, hell even starting a little kegerator fund).

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Trust me on this one.

I'm gonna second this one, happy wife means happier brewer. I'd say that the best thing you can do for yourself here is commit to spending some minimum amount of time doing things that will keep her happy in relation to how much time you spend on your new "hobby," lol.

I'd say that between 1/4 to 1/3 as much time will keep her satisfied. You may want to negotiate your future building plans into the remodel though, otherwise she may fight you tooth and nail about "more brew stuff." That's the problem I've run into at least. She wants me to get rid of something else every time I want to bring in new brew stuff.

My Suggestion: Keep the wifey happy....

Definitely good advice.

I keep my wife happy and she supports my obsession. If I tell her I want/need something her usual response is "go buy it" most of the time without even asking how much it costs.

i definitely keep her happy. she even stops at the LHBS to pick up yeast and grain bags and will pick me up some nice pint glasses for the eventual bar. i just need to learn to control myself. there was a working kegerator on craigs list for $150 last week. i was freaking out that i never heard back from the guy. how do i deal with it. brew more beer?

Back