Oatsmobile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezy

Reaction score
TBH, I'm not a big fan of Bell's ever since their "innovation" lawsuit...

But...

I was in Detroit and I really enjoyed the few Oatsmobile session ales that I had. Great grainy oats flavor with a typical Bell's sharp bitterness, with some honey and fruit effects building up on the pallette. I'm not about to clone it but I expect to work on my version of what I tasted.

Good stuff! It's taken the place of Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream as my favorite commercial session beer (large scale producers, anyways).

Yeah, I like the Oatsmobile too, as long as it isn't served too cold. Had it at a few beer fests.

Have you come up with a starting/base recipe? I'm curious and would brew it.

I'm trying to get my hands on a recipe for that 2% (!) homebrewed Oatmeal Mild that was served at the Social Club at the Baltimore BrewCon last year. That was amazing and possibly the best session ale of all times in that lowest % range.

I haven't brewed it yet but here's what I'm thinking as a first try. If I was going to try to clone it, I'd start here.

3 gallon batch

OG 1.043
FG~1.010

3# 2-row
1.5# rolled oats
4 oz Victory
2 oz honey malt

10g Ekuanot - 40 IBUs@60min
5g/ea Ekuanot, Glacier, Citra - 10-15 IBUs@20 min
14g/ea Ekuanot, Glacier, Citra - hopstand & chill fast

(Overall 60-70 IBUs, but it sure tastes like at least 40 ibus at 60 min)

Wyeast 1272

TBH, I was thinking of running this with just Apollo@60 for a big punch and a whole bunch of El Dorado additions for flavor.

Let me know on that 2% mild! Geez, the only thing I did that wasn't water below 3% (and low OG 1.025) was a patersbier and that was relying on yeast and D90 for flavor. I suppose it could be a larger beer with low attenuation?

(Edited recipe to add some victory for some nutty taste)

Latest posts

Back