Quantcast

Oats in a light beer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

duridsr4fite

Reaction score
There is a beer brewed at my local brewery called oat soda which is like a pale ale with a creamy sort of texture. I want to try to replicate it, but am a bit unclear as to the best way to use oats in a beer like this. Any hints? Think it'll work?

<---still a noob

kaptain_karma

Reaction score
To get the most out of the oats, you'll have to do partial mash or all grain. I do a golden ale with oats in it. If you wanted to do a PM oat beer, you could mash 2lb of six row with 2lb of flaked oats and 1lb of naked(unmalted but de-husked) oats. Oats have a lot of protein that can lead to a cloudy beer, so do a protein rest at around 118 for half an hour or more, then bring the temperature up to 152-ish for an hour. Use whatever light extract you want, and one hop addition at 60 minutes. I don't put any flavor or aroma hops in my oat ale, because I like the grain flavor to come through.

Bob

Reaction score
Depends on how much oats you decide to use, really. Kaptain Karma's method will work nicely. He's right - you will need to conduct at least a partial mash.

you really don't start impacting mouthfeel until you get to around 5% of the grist. After that it becomes really noticeable.

I like malted oats more than flaked or Golden Naked. You can get oat malt from any retailer who has access to Thos. Fawcett's products. There's a lot of husk material, so you don't have to worry about sparging, and it's malted, so you can just do a partial mash of 2 pounds or so of the oats alone. Still, as long as I've got the tun heated up, I mash mine with at least 2 pounds of 2-row.

In fact, I've been meaning to try oat malt in a bitter or something for some time. Perhaps this Spring (in my copious spare time!).

Cheers,

Bob

david_42

Reaction score
It might be a bit more difficult if you are doing extract plus grains. You didn't say.

OP
D

duridsr4fite

Reaction score
I was going to do an pale extract and use oats as a specialty grain [help here, i know there is better terminology for it]. You think it'll work still? Or should I wait untill i get equipment for AG?

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to do an pale extract and use oats as a specialty grain [help here, i know there is better terminology for it]. You think it'll work still? Or should I wait untill i get equipment for AG?
Use the link I posted below the picture. For extract you steep and substitute some DME for grain.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
one of my only "orirginal" recipes is an ale using oats and biscuit malt for body. i use a pound of each and it comes out great.

Latest posts