Oats in a light beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duridsr4fite

Reaction score
There is a beer brewed at my local brewery called oat soda which is like a pale ale with a creamy sort of texture. I want to try to replicate it, but am a bit unclear as to the best way to use oats in a beer like this. Any hints? Think it'll work?

<---still a noob

To get the most out of the oats, you'll have to do partial mash or all grain. I do a golden ale with oats in it. If you wanted to do a PM oat beer, you could mash 2lb of six row with 2lb of flaked oats and 1lb of naked(unmalted but de-husked) oats. Oats have a lot of protein that can lead to a cloudy beer, so do a protein rest at around 118 for half an hour or more, then bring the temperature up to 152-ish for an hour. Use whatever light extract you want, and one hop addition at 60 minutes. I don't put any flavor or aroma hops in my oat ale, because I like the grain flavor to come through.

Depends on how much oats you decide to use, really. Kaptain Karma's method will work nicely. He's right - you will need to conduct at least a partial mash.

you really don't start impacting mouthfeel until you get to around 5% of the grist. After that it becomes really noticeable.

I like malted oats more than flaked or Golden Naked. You can get oat malt from any retailer who has access to Thos. Fawcett's products. There's a lot of husk material, so you don't have to worry about sparging, and it's malted, so you can just do a partial mash of 2 pounds or so of the oats alone. Still, as long as I've got the tun heated up, I mash mine with at least 2 pounds of 2-row.

In fact, I've been meaning to try oat malt in a bitter or something for some time. Perhaps this Spring (in my copious spare time!).

Cheers,

Bob

It might be a bit more difficult if you are doing extract plus grains. You didn't say.

"Two oat sodas, Gary." --The Dude.
the_big_lebowski___jeff_bridges1.jpg

I was going to do an pale extract and use oats as a specialty grain [help here, i know there is better terminology for it]. You think it'll work still? Or should I wait untill i get equipment for AG?

I was going to do an pale extract and use oats as a specialty grain [help here, i know there is better terminology for it]. You think it'll work still? Or should I wait untill i get equipment for AG?

Use the link I posted below the picture. For extract you steep and substitute some DME for grain.

Back