oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvtpublic

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Reaction score
I just made a 2gl oatmeal stout this morning and I ended up with a O.G. of 1.034. I know, its a bit low, but i'm fine with that. What i'm wondering is if I should ferment it down to 1.000 or lower. Would that be too much for a stout?

You need to let it fully ferment, if you cut it short you could have bottle bombs.Your final gravity really depends on the amount of unfermentables (crystal)lactose or others.If it was a kit it should say the final gravity. You dont ferment it your yeast do, its only going to go so far and generally 2 weeks and its finished but needs to condition and sit a week or two more. I would do 3 then check the gravity over 3 days to see if it has stopped dropping. What kind of yeast is it?

Having the recipe/kit ingredients would be helpful. I agree that the yeast will do their thing and you really can't control that. See where it ends up, but I doubt you'll see 1.000. A stout typically has more unfermentables which give it the color and flavor that you are looking for.

Well wouldn't <1.000 be dry? Or would that be fine if got into the . 990's?

Im shure if you post recipe ingredients someone can figure your fg.Yes it is like that.

It was a mr beer kit, the sticky wicket, using two hme's rather than one and the booster. While pouring the wort into the keg, I kinda ****ed that up and around a pint of it went everywhere but the keg. Me, not thinking, still filled it the rest of the way with water rather than taking into account of the loss of wort.

Does the kit not say the og and fg? I really doubt a kit would get that low.Unless stated.What are hme?

Hopped Malt Extract-hme. The kit doesn't say anything about specific gravity in any way, shape or form. Its based around the ultimate beginner, such as myself. However this is my second kit. My first kit was a pale ale, and it turned out great. All it says is to wait until it tastes like beer then bottle. I didn't know anything about specific gravity for the pale ale. But this time, I feel pretty comfortable in my knowledge of it. Also, when I bottle, would 3/4 tsp per 12oz bottle be right? That's what that kit says to use.

Hmm,with the caramal malt it should not get too low but is a low gravity.After 2-3 weeks its going to finish where it will whether you like it or not its going to be the ending gravity it is. The only thing in the future if you want it to finish higher is add some more unfermentablet to it or build your own recipe with a good amout of crystal lactose or other unfermentables.Maybe certain yeast that have a low attenuation also.
Just dont expect you first beer you pull of this stout to be your best it may take a little time but with a low gravity and extract it should not be long.
3/4 tsp for the stout? I would guess thats ok but in general to me a stout would be like 1/2 tsp. I would go for it if it said the stout to use 3/4 but if your pale was the same and was pretty carbed a stout should be less so figure for that also.

Just let it get down to 1.010. It's going to be about a 3-3.5 abv beer which is fine. I've brewed an oatmeal stout before that starts at 1.034 and finishes up at 1.010. There's nothing wrong with a low alcohol stout, in fact you notice some of the roastiness better that way imo. Taking it down to 1.000 will leave you with too low a body in the final beer and perhaps be a little soda-like.

Ok, I don't mind it finishing low. I was just hoping for a bit of understanding more than anything, and that certainly helps. As for the priming sugar, I think I will go for the lower amount. It's my first time using glass, and I don't like stouts as carb'd as my PA came out. Thanks for your help!

BTW, I like the sound of a roastiness, I just might like that a lot.

Latest posts

Back