Oatmeal Stout: Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast strain for an Oatmeal Stout?

• Fermentis S-33

• Fermentis S-04

• Fermentis US-05

• Danstar Nottingham

• Wyeast 1084/WLP004 (Irish ale)

• Other: mention in thread please

Results are only viewable after voting.

mrfocus

Reaction score
The question is pretty simple, if I want to conserve the nice creaminess with an oatmeal stout, which yeast would you use?

I've used both Nottingham and wyeast 1968 for my stouts. Both work great, I think the grain bill and your mashing temp have alot more to do with the creamy body you get then the yeast you use.

GT

Depends on the type of oatmeal stout and the gravity.
I would say US-05, S-04, Nottingham, and Irish Ale all have their place.

My most recent oatmeal stout used S-04 and it is a really wonderful smooth English style beer. That beer was under 5% and more of a brown rather than black stout. For a higher gravity beer with more roasted grains I think US-05 would allow the grains to stand out more. Nottingham would still provide some English flavor to the beer without leaving too much residue sweetness in a big beer. I don't have much experience with the Irish Ale yeast but can't see how it would be a bad thing in a stout.

So basically they all work.

Craig

I voted WLP004 if you want a lot of body and some residual sweetness (which is more usual for an oatmeal stout).

Personally, I don't like the extra sweetness so I use Nottingham. Then I mash high and use both flaked oats and flaked barley for the mouthfeel, turns out great. Even with voracious Nottingham I still get final gravities around 1.017.

As stated previously, worry more about the grain bill and mash temp, all the yeasts will work fine, and I prefer the Irish Ale for my oatmeal stout.

EinGutesBier said:
Would Safale or other dry yeasts work well for an oatmeal stout?

Jamil Z actually recommends Safale S-04 if you can't get/don't want to use liquid yeast. I made my ESB with it (still aging) but it does give a nice character to English Ales. I would go for it more than Nottingham (more for a Brown Ale).

Edit: S-04 is also a really fast fermenter. Except kraeusen to fall in about 7 days and then you can start bulk aging (secondary) for 2 weeks. (I'm at week 1 in bottles)

:mug: When making a stout, I almost always use dry yeast. Either Safale-04,Safale-05 or Nottinghams. Much easier, just sprinkle on top or rehydrate and you are good to go. I use liquid yeast for hefe's or wit's wher the yeast plays a big part in the brew.:mug:

Would there be a problem if I made a liquid starter for some yeast I harvested and then added S-04 to that same starter? I'm aware that I'd get attributes of both yeast, but I'm not sure if that harvested yeast would have great attenuation power at this point. I just wonder if they'd, I don't know, sort of cannibalize or negate each other.

gruntingfrog said:
White Labs - WLP002 English Ale

I've used it in every Oatmeal Stout I've made (including the one I'm fermenting now).
Good Call. That is the Whitelabs version of Wyeast 1098.

EinGutesBier said:
Would there be a problem if I made a liquid starter for some yeast I harvested and then added S-04 to that same starter? I'm aware that I'd get attributes of both yeast, but I'm not sure if that harvested yeast would have great attenuation power at this point. I just wonder if they'd, I don't know, sort of cannibalize or negate each other.

No, but one yeast may over power the other (out compete for food).

I shall consult my Yeast Matrix.

White Labs Yeast Matrix says Most Preferred Yeasts for Style are:

WLP004 - Irish Ale
WLP005 - British Ale
WLP013 - London Ale
WLP023 - Burton Ale
and 3 styles of seasonal yeast
WLP017 - Whitbread Ale (Sept-Oct)
WLP022 - Essex Ale (Jan-Feb)
WLP026 - Premium Bitter Ale (May-June)

There now choose one of those and it will come out allll rrrrright.

002 english ale yeast here as well.

matter of fact i just had an oatmeal stout with that yeast do pretty well in a local competition.

I am reviving this before making my first oatmeal stout. I would also love it to come out a little more full bodied with some residual sweetness from the grains. What do you think a good mash temp would be? I was thinking mash in at about 166 and shoot for 155 and hold for 90 minutes.

10 pound pale malt
1 pound choco malt
5 oz barley
1 pound rolled oats

I may throw 4-5 oz CaraAmber in..just because

I was thinking US-05 but I also have some washed S-04.....comments?

I am reviving this before making my first oatmeal stout. I would also love it to come out a little more full bodied with some residual sweetness from the grains. What do you think a good mash temp would be? I was thinking mash in at about 166 and shoot for 155 and hold for 90 minutes.

10 pound pale malt
1 pound choco malt
5 oz barley
1 pound rolled oats

I may throw 4-5 oz CaraAmber in..just because

I was thinking US-05 but I also have some washed S-04.....comments?

Of those two yeast, I like the S04. Ideally, you'd use WLP002, or another Irish ale yeast, but I used s04 in the stout I'm drinking at this minute. My recipe was adapted from Jamils:

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 29.3 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

I mashed at 154. It finished at 1.018ish. It's good.

I use Wyeast 1968 London ESB, on my oatmeal stout. I've also used 1028 London Ale, but really like the profile from the 1968 (I feel like it does require a slightly longer aging/conditioning process though).

For most English style beers I'll just pitch S-04 and let it go. I really like the ester it provides and how it compacts so well.

My Oatmeal Stout turns out great with S-04.

Back