Oatmeal stout to oatmeal mumps in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trobocco

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a oatmeal stout recipe via all grain. I was thinking of adding some pumpkin and spices to make it a pumpkin oatmeal. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also I have only done pumpkin in an extract kit where I steeped it in a bag at 170. I assume I can just add it to the mash tun now? At what point do I add it? The start or wait until transferring to boil kettle?

I'm gonna need to check my immunization records before assisting in a mumps oatmeal stout. Maybe someone over 60 can chime in on this one.

Otherwise just soak a bag with the pumpkin in it in the strike water

Lots of different recipes do it differently. Some add to the mash, some to the boil. Some reccommend baking it first.

I did mine in the mash and was pleased with the results. I've used both fresh roasted and canned pumpkin. Can't say that I noticed any particular improvement using fresh roasted.

Go easy on the spices at first... You can always add more.... Even on bottling day. You can't take it out if you go overboard :eek:

Back