Oatmeal Stout recipe input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCGBrewing

Reaction score
I am looking to make an partial mash/extract version of an oatmeal stout. I could do all-grain, but my system is more geared toward doing 10 gallon batches, but this one will only be 5g.

Here is my recipe:

1.0# Flaked Oats (toasted first)
1.0# Pilsner Malt
0.5# Roasted Barley
0.25# Black Patent
0.25# Chocolate 450L
4# Golden light DME
1.1oz Target 8.6% 60 min

OG 1.051, 26 IBU's, 31SRM, 4.9%ABV

My thinking is to doing a mini-mash of the Oats and Pilsner malt. The diastatic power of the Pilsner will help convert the oats (if I am correct).

Any input or corrections in my thinking would be appreciated!

You are correct - you have to mash the flaked oats, or you'll get a starchy brew (unpleasant texture). I would swap the amounts of the roasted barley and chocolate malt, but that's just personal preference. This is right down the line for an oatmeal stout and ought to be good. What yeast are you thinking about?

What kind of flaked oats are you using?
Toasting them is an interesting idea too. What will that add to the finished beer?

I may go with just S-04 dry yeast, since I have plenty of it on hand, or I may look go with Wyeast London 1028 or London III 1318. I haven't really decided as of yet. According to this article: https://byo.com/stories/item/1192-oatmeal-stout-style-profile, those will give me either a medium-dry finish, or a sweeter finish. I'm leaning towards the London, and then if I want it sweeter I can always brew the next with London III.

From the research I've done, I've read that toasting the oatmeal can give an oatmeal cookie type flavor and/or aroma that will carry over to the beer. Also, I've read using them untoasted can leave the beer a little flat or one-dimensional. As with most things in homebrewing, the only way to know for sure is to try it!

Have you thought about mashing at a higher temperature to get the residual sweetness you might be looking for? Just a thought for you to consider.
I always use oatmeal in any stout I make. I like the mouth feel the oatmeal adds to the beer, but I've never considered toasting it. It sounds interesting and worth a try.

I suppose I hadn't really thought of using the mash to make it sweeter, but then its only a pound of oats and another of pils. Keeping a consistent temp in the partial mash is probably going to be a challenge as well.

I love using crystal malt in my oatmeal stout. I suggest Crystal 80l and about a pound or pound and a half of that. That will give you some rich caramel sweetness without being overwhelming to balance the roasted malts.

I suppose I hadn't really thought of using the mash to make it sweeter, but then its only a pound of oats and another of pils. Keeping a consistent temp in the partial mash is probably going to be a challenge as well.

Oh nutz, sorry. I babbled on and forget you're doing a partial mash.

I think I'll stick with the Black Patent. If anything, i'll find out if I don't like it and need to eliminate next time.

I will add in some C-80 as Yooper suggested. Many of the recipes I saw in my research had some type of Crystal in it, and most of those were C-80.

I finally brewed this, and thought I should share the results!

Here is the final recipe:

1.0# Flaked Oats (toasted first)
2.0# Pilsner Malt
1.0# Crystal 80L
0.5# Roasted Barley
0.25# Black Patent
0.25# Chocolate 450L
3.5# Golden light DME (added at 30 min)
1oz Target 8.6% 60 min

OG 1.057, 30.8 IBU's, 35.5SRM, 5.5%ABV

It turned out great! It has an awesome silky texture. No astringency at all, but I could go for more chocolate in it.

20140925_235233.jpg

Back