Oatmeal Stout looking thin....any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFace_Brewing

Reaction score
Brewed the Midwest Oatmeal Stout extract kit 5 days ago. used a smack pack (irish ale) instead of the dry yeast. Did (on accident) add 2 liters over recommended amount of water. OG ended being 1038 (off by 4-6 points)

Fermentation started very quick and rocked for the first 2 days. Days 3, 4, and 5 lead to only bubbles in the airlock once or twice a minute. Took a gravity reading on day 5 and it was at 1012 which is on par with the instructions. Racked to secondary and took a sample. Watery taste.

Did some research and most people have said 2 liters extra water should not of had THAT big of side effect.

It is just too green to understand what the final thickness of the final product will be? Is there anything I can add to the secondary to add some extra body?

Thanks for your input! :mug:

Yes dont worry.Ive had this fear. I made a pale ale "light "accidentally and even checked it 5 days into botteling and tasted great. Maybe prime with dme, its suppose to give a little more creamyness than sugar. You could always add some lactose at botteling also. lactose will impart some sweetness though.
After tasting my pre bottled stout i thought the same thing until i checked one bottled after 2 weeks.

Looking thin? I wish I had the same problem. I've been thinking about running again. I hate running. Picking up heavy things in the weight room just doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

Looking thin? I wish I had the same problem. I've been thinking about running again. I hate running. Picking up heavy things in the weight room just doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

Thank for the input on your lifestyle....any help on my question though?

I can help with that. It's really a question of time. Some reactions go pretty quickly, like your wort to alcohol process. The yeast only spent a few hours multiplying and then started to create alcohol from the sugars. Other reactions take more time, sometimes lots more. Your stout is a complex beast and there are lots of reactions to complete before it tastes like it should. From the time you put the wort and yeast into the fermenter until the reactions make good stout will likely be on the order of 2 to 3 months. Yup, it takes that long for your stout to get really good.

Other beers mature much quicker because they don't have to complete the complex reactions. Try brewing a wheat beer or a cream ale. If you start today, you will have them all drunk before your stout is really ready and they will be good.

RM-MN said:
I can help with that. It's really a question of time. Some reactions go pretty quickly, like your wort to alcohol process. The yeast only spent a few hours multiplying and then started to create alcohol from the sugars. Other reactions take more time, sometimes lots more. Your stout is a complex beast and there are lots of reactions to complete before it tastes like it should. From the time you put the wort and yeast into the fermenter until the reactions make good stout will likely be on the order of 2 to 3 months. Yup, it takes that long for your stout to get really good.

Other beers mature much quicker because they don't have to complete the complex reactions. Try brewing a wheat beer or a cream ale. If you start today, you will have them all drunk before your stout is really ready and they will be good.

I already racked to secondary will I still be fine or should I add malto

You should still be fine although it may take longer to mature without being on the yeast cake as long as I would have wanted. I hurried my stout, bottling it too soon because I didn't know better and it took more than 2 months in the bottles to get good.

A month primary is best for "regular" stouts ime. I think the problem may just be the flat beer. A little carbonation can do wonders sometimes.

Back