Oatmeal Stout extract or partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Hello,

I've wanted to make an oatmeal stout for a while now. Considering it's a good time of the year for a nice oatmeal stout, I'm thinking of making it my next brew. I was looking on Midwest or Northern Brewer (forget which one) and they've got the extract and partial mash. Now, I've never done partial mash and I planned on transitioning to it next year when I get a bigger pot and a turkey fryer. However, I've read that you really can't make a good oatmeal stout using extract plus steeping grains as the oats must be mashed in order to really get any benefit from them. My question is, why online is there an extract plus steeping grains recipe, and why are a lot of the reviews positive? Should I assume the people reviewing it aren't aware of the oatmeal partial mash reasoning, or can you really make it using extract and steeping? I'd hate to buy the extract version and have it turn out like crap. As I mentioned, I would like to do PM now, but I would feel more comfortable doing it when I have a bigger pot and a turkey fryer so I can do full boils. Thanks for the help.

...why online is there an extract plus steeping grains recipe, and why are a lot of the reviews positive? Should I assume the people reviewing it aren't aware of the oatmeal partial mash reasoning, or can you really make it using extract and steeping?

So people like it because they don't know they're not supposed to?

Yes oats should be co-mashed with a base malt, but I think you would have a difficult time arguing bad things will happen if used in a steeping recipe. Do whatever fits your agenda.

So people like it because they don't know they're not supposed to?

Yes oats should be co-mashed with a base malt, but I think you would have a difficult time arguing bad things will happen if used in a steeping recipe. Do whatever fits your agenda.

No. What I mean is a lot of people on here believe that a real oatmeal stout cannot be made unless the oats are mashed. When reviewing the recipe, and even speaking with my LHBS owner, it appears that you can make a good oatmeal stout even when steeping. My previous post wasn't meant to sound pretentious.

I'll side with your shop owner even though that's not my preferred method. I'm just not one of those fundamentalist that insist on oats being mashed. It would be different if you were looking to enter a competition.

And stop being so pretentious. HeHe!

I haven't found a "total extract" Oatmeal Stout kit and because there isn't an oat DME (that I know of hehe :p ), you won't find one - NB, Midwest, Rebel - all 3 extract kits also come with specialty grains (oats and base malt) that require a small mash.

Here's the PDF for NB's Oatmeal Stout: click

I wouldn't sweat a partial mash though, it's a relatively simple process and with good preparation you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Check out Deathbrewer's partial mash topic here: click He really breaks it down to the simplest of terms - I used it for my first partial and though my BHE was lower (which is to be expected), it hurt nothing. The beer tasted great.

If you follow directions you'll find it extremely difficult to make your stout turn out like crap.

Good luck!

*EDIT* - to add, you're only utilizing 8oz of oats, you're not going to draw much in the way of fermentables from it. Flavor? yes.

I haven't found a "total extract" Oatmeal Stout kit and because there isn't an oat DME (that I know of hehe :p ), you won't find one - NB, Midwest, Rebel - all 3 extract kits also come with specialty grains (oats and base malt) that require a small mash.

Here's the PDF for NB's Oatmeal Stout: click

I wouldn't sweat a partial mash though, it's a relatively simple process and with good preparation you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Check out Deathbrewer's partial mash topic here: click He really breaks it down to the simplest of terms - I used it for my first partial and though my BHE was lower (which is to be expected), it hurt nothing. The beer tasted great.

If you follow directions you'll find it extremely difficult to make your stout turn out like crap.

Good luck!

*EDIT* - to add, you're only utilizing 8oz of oats, you're not going to draw much in the way of fermentables from it. Flavor? yes.

Thanks for the help. I've read DB's thread on partial mash before. It's a great description of how to partial mash. My only question is when sparging, is it preferred to use the pour over method or the tea bag method? I notice DB mentions he heats his water to 160 and tea bags the grains for 10 minutes. He says if you sparge them with water that's too hot (170 degrees), you can extract tannins. However, a lot of things I've read say to sparge with 170 degrees. I'm looking to use the method that will produce the most efficiency. Any advice?

I prefer sparging instead of tea-bagging :D. 168 is the temp I aim for - my own take on partial stove top mashing, I used a large grain bag, after the mashing process I would place the bag in a colander then place that over the brewpot and pour my 168* water over it - either-or would work though, neither will be perfect however they are both relatively efficient in their own ways for the process.

One thing I did do and would do again today if I ever did a partial again is squeeze the hell out of that grain bag before discarding it. You'll find lots of debate topics on here about whether or not that will extract tannins and ruin your beer and ruin the world, etc... one of "those" subjects. However in my own experiences, the only thing I've extracted from choking the life out of a grain bag was deliciousness.

Here's a Revvy quote for you in case you're nervous about it:
There's no reason not to squeeze.....that's another old brewer's myth that has been misunderstood...and has been shot down..But if often just get's repeated as ROTE without anyone stopping to look beyond the just repeating the warning...

Read this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/do-you-squeeze-bag-biab-177051/?highlight=squeeze

And this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/squeezing-grain-bag-bad-175179/?highlight=squeeze

Steeping basically a mini-BIAB (although diluted) if you maintain temps right?

I made a fantastic Oatmeal stout with extract and steeping some specialty grains including the oatmeal(toasted).

One thing I prefer. Instead of using straight "Dark DME". I split it 50/50 with a Munich DME and got most of my color from the steeped grains.

It was simple enough and I didn't need to buy a bigger brew kettle to pull it off at the time.

Steeping basically a mini-BIAB (although diluted) if you maintain temps right?

I made a fantastic Oatmeal stout with extract and steeping some specialty grains including the oatmeal(toasted).

One thing I prefer. Instead of using straight "Dark DME". I split it 50/50 with a Munich DME and got most of my color from the steeped grains.

It was simple enough and I didn't need to buy a bigger brew kettle to pull it off at the time.

So no mashing? Just steeping grains (including oatmeal) at 155 degrees for 30minutes and then continue on with the boil like a regular extract plus specialty grains recipe? Maybe I will do one extract plus specialty batch and another partial mash batch and compare the two.

I steeped the oatmeal while steeping the specialty grains and it came out fantastic. But yes, temps and time where what Used a well. Then top off with the rest of your water, add extract, boil, etc.....

Back