Oatmeal Stout - Add Oak to seconadary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beershere

Reaction score
I brewed a oatmeal stout last week ( 9 lb 2 row, 1 lb Oatmeal, 12 oz chocolate, 5 oz black barley, 1 oz Fuggles FWH). I took a reading when transferring to secondary - and a taste - pretty darn good.

I am now considering adding 2 oz Oak cubes to secondary - medium toast. They have also been soaking in bourbon.

Anybody out there with opinions on that addition or experiences? I don't want to ruin a good beer- but it sound like it will work. If anyone has added oak to a stout also curious how long you left in?

I also just brewed an oatmeal stout and was curious about the same thing. I think it would turn out pretty dern good.

I'd bottle half and oak half. Two beers, plus you can see the effects of the oak/bourbon. I'm not sure what the optimal oaking time is, but I would guess that 2-3 weeks is sufficient. I've oaked beers for 2 weeks and for 5 months; they all tasted oaky. Just bear in mind that the oak and bourbon will make the beer taste a little dryer and thinner.

Latest posts

Back