Oaking second run/false wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primerib

Reaction score
After pressing my 110 lbs of Marquette grapes and proceeding with malolactic fermentation and oaking I put a 3 gallon batch of second run/false wine to go on the grape skins. I’ve since pressed this batch and it is in the carboy clearing as I write this. I can’t find much information online about second run wine and I have zero experience to go off of. Do any of you typically put your second run wine on oak? I know that I can expect a “lighter bodied” wine but also being new to oak, I’m not sure if oaking would enhance or detract from this wine. If it tastes reasonably convincing as a red wine as is I planned to leave it dry, but if I’m finding it too harsh I had also considered backsweetening a very tiny bit.

This wine will be around 10% ABV so I was kind of hoping for a quicker drinker as I wait the agonizing many months for the main event to be ready.

Well, put it on some untoasted oak anyway. We’ll see how it comes out.

Not too experienced in 2nd run wines but I have oaked a rougeon and a leon milot. Took another year to settle down and mature but I had nothing but compliments when they were sampled, the wait kills us but that's what whites and kits are for.

Thanks! I d
Not too experienced in 2nd run wines but I have oaked a rougeon and a leon milot. Took another year to settle down and mature but I had nothing but compliments when they were sampled, the wait kills us but that's what whites and kits are for.

Glad to hear yours have turned out so well! There’s really not a lot of information online I’ve found about tried and true methods with these hybrid grapes. Last night I took a quick sample taste of my actual Marquette “real” wine (not the second run) after it had been on medium toast French oak cubes for a couple weeks now and I’m pleasantly surprised to say that it’s actually starting to taste and smell like red wine, rather than the opaque sour booze juice I tasted after pressing the fermented grapes. I’m hoping many months of aging, malolactic fermentation and maybe cold stabilizing this winter will mellow it into something halfway tasty by next summer! No rush, as you say that’s why we do other wines in the interim.

Back