Oak in the Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a beer I want to oak. It's been in the keg for a few months already though.

I was planning on putting 1 or 2 oz of medium toast french oak cubs into the beer keg. My only concern is that it might get too oaky too quick. I just don't know. There's probably about 3.5-4 gallons of beer left in there.

Any thoughts, experiences?

As long as you can get them out readily I don't see it being a problem. But I'd go more like a half ounce and taste a little bit each day until you think it's right. I haven't oaked yet but from what I've read it does impart a strong flavor pretty fast.

Out of curiosity which beer are you oaking the BW?

Yeh that's what I figured. I'm oaking the mild actually, it really over attenuated (1.002). So it smells great, but the body is non-existent. This is really just an experiment.

I was surprised by the lack of response to this question, so I already threw 1 oz into there.

And I have no way of getting them out!! Hopefully it will be consumed before the time it becomes to oaky.

We'll see what happens!

Back