Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neens_

Reaction score
I have a 10% milk stout in the fermenting that I'm adding vanilla, cinnamon, and cacao nibs too. I'm going to pull a gallon off and put some oak chips soaked in bourbon into but am not sure how many chips to add to such a small amount, any advice?

I would start with 0.05 to 0.1 ounces (1.5-3.0 grams), and go up from there if needed.

In my recent porter I added 2 ozs, but it was mainly due to the age (2+ yrs) of the chips. Also, the chips were French which is a milder flavor.

Edit:

I should say this was for 5 gallons.

Last edited:
I put 4 ounces in just enough Bourbon to cover the chips for 5 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout. IMO WAY too much. Mine were French oak chips. If I did it again I would try 2 ounces for the 5 gallons.

I got some heavy Toast American oak cubes, took 10 grams worth of cubes and put them in a vacuum bag with just enough bourbon to cover and am waiting for it to be soaked in. I’ll bag those 10 grams and add them to a gallon and pull them out when I get the flavor I want.

Latest posts

Back