oak chips in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redjeep83

Reaction score
Hi, We brewed a stout and are going to add some jack daniels oak chips to our secondary. We have soaked them in some bourbon for a few days. My question is, one of us wants to put them in the oven at like 230 degrees for 10-15 mins to kill any bacteria and dry them out a bit before putting them in the secondary. We dont have much experience, is this a good idea? Will it make the oak chips taste different? Any recommendations, thanks!!!!!!

The Jack should have killed off anything already. How much of the chips did you use? I used 2oz before and left them in the secondary for about 2 weeks and the oak totally overpowered the brew.

The Jack should have killed off anything already. How much of the chips did you use? I used 2oz before and left them in the secondary for about 2 weeks and the oak totally overpowered the brew.

we were thinking an ounce for two weeks, that too much?

One ounce is what I use for a 5 gal batch. I don't soak 'em in the beer, though. I soak the chips in a cup of bourbon for 3-4 weeks to allow the liquor to extract the flavor out of the chips, then discard the chips and add the oaked bourbon to the keg (or bottling bucket) before racking the beer over the top.

Latest posts

Back