oak aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi86

Reaction score
i found some oak aging barrels online and i was wondering if any of the experienced mead guys could tell me if oak aging is benificial compared to glass bottle aging?
:mug:

aging in a oak barrel is more work, but will give your mead an oak character. The level depends on the toast of the barrel, the alcohol level of the mead, and the duration of oaking.

You can oak a mead in glass by using oak chips/cubes/spirals

I have 5L american oak barrel in my kitchen and prepare it for my mead.
It's very good smell and I never see who aging mead in oak barrel but I'll try on my own then I'll know the result.
I plan to let it age 1 month in the barrel because it's heavy toast and I don't want it too much oak flavor to my mead.

One disadvantage to oak barrels is that you need to keep them filled, even when not aging in order to make sure that they don't dry out.

Or is that an advantage? Always needing to have a mead aging. Hmmm..

Matrix

It's simpler, cleaner and more cost effective to use oak chips. Put them in a brewing bag and rack on them for as long as you want or until you reach desired flavor.

The first time I did this I failed hard as the mead tasted to strongly of oak...I used it to cut other meads I have and it added a very nice characteristic to them.

Back