Oak aging directly in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
My imperial porter has been fermenting from 3 weeks in the primary. I added a dry hop 5 days ago. I was planning on transferring to a secondary and add oak chips + a bit of whisky for the next 5-6 days before bottling.

Could I skip the secondary and just add the chips+whisky in primary and bottle next week to avoid the hassle and the risk of oxydation?

I say yes, although this is one of the few times I might use a secondary. I made a similar beer with vanilla, oak and rum last year and secondary aged it for 4 weeks. Was afraid the oak and vanilla would setle into the yeast and lower their effectiveness.

FYI, after a year that beer keeps getting better. Was good initially but after aging in the bottles the oak and liquor have really smoothed out over time.

If you want a good bit of oak flavor, I'd leave it on there more than 5-6 day (and I would say to use secondary fermentation.)

I don't think going to secondary raises your risk of oxidation if you do it correctly.

Matt

I added oak cubes and Maker's 46 to my Porter in a secondary a few wks ago. I plan to keg it at about the 6 wk mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back